DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!
Just a quick question; My 98' Intrepid has 82,000 miles on it, and lately I've had the oil dummy light come on after the motor warms up, and when the engine RPM are around 600-800, not under acceleration. Oil level was 1 quart down, and was topped off. Now the light comes on around 1600-1800 RPM, still not under acceleration. There is a slight leak near the pan as well. The engine blows no smoke, and coolant and oil are fine(Amsoil synthetic oil). No other indicators lights are present. Should I be thinking sending unit or worry about the pump? Any similar experiences with this on the 2.7 motor would be appreciated!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Word of advice,

GET IT TO THE DEALERSHIP QUICK!

That oil light means it is not up to required levels of presure and you are not pumping oil to the OHC. Check your oil levels and get it to the shop. Hopefully it is only a faulty sensor or computer chip. Otherwise you are looking at a costly repair bill for a new engine.

sURFN

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
yes forsure, I would not be driving my car around with an oil light on.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have the EXACT same car as you - SAME mileage, 1998, 2.7 lit Intrepid, and just recently the EXACT SAME problem started.

In mine, the light comes up once a while when I stop for red light. At that point when I put it in neutral and rev up the accelerator to over 800 RPMs the light goes away.

PLEASE ADVISE ASAP what measures you took for this. I did not know how serious this was and hence have been driving like this for about a month now. The engine oil light never comes up on the hoghway.

PLEASE LET ME KNOW AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I had my mechanic check the pressure, 40 cold and 30 after warmup at idle. I picked up a new sending unit and had that installed, funny thing is on the way home, same thing at 600 RPM in drive, light flickers on. That was yesterday and today no sign of it. Occasionally the dimmer on the dash lights decides to flicker out for a second, like twice in two years, now I'm thinking something in the dash. I drive 35 miles a day to work all highway but no way can I afford a new pump right now. Caught between a rock and a hardplace ;-)
Thanks for the responses!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Dont know what a "sending unit" is !!
Spoke to my mechanic on phone as follows :

(1) Leaks near the pan can cause this - Repair is cheap. Mended before topping off engine oil.
(2) Oil pressure switch can be bad. Repair is relatively cheap ($ 80 CDN).
(3) Engine oil pump needs work. Repairs are expensive.

I was told at 110K kms. it is unlikely that anything to the engine is required, especailly there are signs of leak.

More.... when I learn more. Let me know if you have anything from your end. CIAO.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Good luck Mohamed,

Hope it is only one of the first 2 and not the last one.

sURFN

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Be carefull. The 2.7's are starting to show a trend of bottom end problems. This causes the oil pressure to drop and soon all kinds of other problems. The oil light is often too late to help. Get to the dealer fast and get the oil pressure checked. I do work for a local auto wrecking yard and they say that 2.7's are hard to keep and have a high demmand. They have lots of 3.3's and 3.5's but 2.7's are gold to them.

[ January 16, 2002: Message edited by: adaptabl ]

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The "sending unit" is the switch on the engine block which sends a signal to the dummy light on the dash is the oil pressure is low, cost me $10 from the dealer. Seems only in drive and at a stop if the RPM hit600 or less the light flutters. I am leaning towards a possible bad contact in the dash, aside from the dash light issue the other issue that sometimes shows up is if I leave the heat on and shut the car off, when its' restarted the AC is enabled and I have to push the button to shut it off. Dashboard phantoms?????

·
Registered
67 Posts
nwl17 (dont know your name) :

How long since the light started to appear on the dashboard.
The members are scaring the **** out of me !
....Also, have you had any other problems / symptoms since, or lately ??

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The oil light only started a couple weeks ago. Last year the starter went and was replaced as well as the battery and positive battery cable, seems the guy who had it for a lease drove the hell out of it and the cable had been badly corroded from road salt. the drivers side front window bracket snapped causing the window to ride out of the channel, was told by the dealers that I needed to order the whole piece of glass, cannot just get the clips, so I tried a structural adhesive and that snapped the bracket as soon as it went up after re-install, so now its up and disconnected till I get a cheap boneyard replacement.

·
Registered
67 Posts
nws17:
I took mine to the dealer's. Oil pressure switch and sending unit is one and the same thing. There was no panic at the dealers, as from the symptoms (exactly like yours), they knew that it was the "sending unit", and they said "it happens".

From what they explained to me, 98 / 2.7 lit. Intrepids have a connector with wiring harness, that go hand-in-hand with the "sending unit". When sending unit is re-installed, the connector and the harness cables also have to be changed, otherwise it wont make a difference. Probably thats why yours (lamp light) came up when you went back home from the dealers.
Apparently I was told that when water seeps into this connector, the sending unit goes haywire and starts sending wrong signals to the dash. The connector and cable harness cost additional $ 80 (CDN) plus 1/2 hour labour costs (They gave me a total estimate of $ 150 CDN, all taxes inclusive).
FYI : I did NOT get this done, as I will wait and see of the connector dries off from the moisture it has collected. I recently got a second car (Honda Civic), and my intrepid has been in an enclosed single garage for two weeks now - Hence when I drove to the dealers yesterday, the light did NOT come up at all - Am playing on the fact that if I keep car indoors and not use it for few weeks, it might dry off the moisture. Question : Do you drive a lot in damp / snowy condition????

I have had same troubles as you with starter, battery, alternater, etc.etc.

Next time I am going Japaneese (Honda, Acura, or Toyota).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Talk about timing.......The exact same thing started happening to my '99 last month, it has a 2.7 with about 68K. It only happens at low RPMS (appx. 600) and when the motor is warm.
If it's just a sending unit, I'm not going to worry about it. I'll certainly monitor this post to see what happens. Thanks for your posts!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We have had lots of rain and recently snow\freezing rain, so the moisture on the connection makes sense. Using WireDrier spray on them may help if you want to keep the harness, as might dielectric grease to seal the contacts housing.

·
Registered
67 Posts
McDaddy / NWS17 :

Yes, the lights keeps flickering still, after the car was kept indoors for a week - Always happens after its warmed up and around 600 RPM (when stopped for traffic light_ - When put in neutral and accelerated back and forth, the light comes and goes like a yooyoo, going on at 600 RPM, and going off when I accelerate (in neutral).

U guys get an noise / sound from the engine? Any whistling sound, the kind you hear from inside the car while driving on a windy day??

We can check if this is detrimental to the engine, if we do not do anything (i.e. Not change the harness and sending unit), with our contacts and update this posting. Anyone knows if this would be harmful if not attended to??

NWS17 - The oil pressure testing that you got done, is the figures you indicated (cold and warm readings) normal !! please update.

·
Registered
67 Posts
....Forgot to add one more thing.

It seems like this problem is consistent in every which way you see. Has anybody checked if there has been any RECALLS from chrysler on this issue.

I also suggest we gang up and write to Chrysler about this problem - Still dont know how serious (if at all) this issue is???

·
Registered
187 Posts
You can check your TSB reports for your year and model here.

Looks like #30 on the 98 2.7 model has this TSB listed. 08-36-99 OCT 99 Engine Oil Pressure Light - ON/Flickers

Call the local dealership and point to this TSB.

sURFN

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the heads-up regarding that Service Bulletin, now I should see if they will replace the harness for free!
The oil pressure readings were normal for the operating conditions, btw. funny thing, we have had rain and snow in the last two weeks but the light only flickered the day it came out of the shop. I still think its a bad ground somewhere in the dash .

·
Registered
67 Posts
nws17 / Anyone :

Did you get the service done for the engine oil dummy light? Since this is on TSB, do you know if they will do this free of charge, or at a subsidised rate??? Never happened to me before hence the question.

FYI : I have not done anything on mine yet !

1 - 20 of 40 Posts