DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I´ve just a lil´question concerning the oil filter to be used in my 3,5 V6 first gen.(I´m using synthetic oil btw).

I always use the Mopar/Chrysler filter, but I´d like to change the brand to PUROLATOR since the guy in the shop told me it is one of the best filters you can get for the money.

Is this true or should I stay with Mopar? I know Purolator is a good brand for car stuff in general,but does anyone maybe have experiences with the Purolator oil filter?

Thanks in advance!!!
Benny

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I've always used Purolators most of the time. I've never heard anybody having problems with them as with Frams. I agree that they are the best for the money. As a matter of fact, Purolator invented the oil filter.....the name comes from the slogan "Pure oil later"

·
Registered
9,831 Posts
In my wife's 1989 Oldsmobile Ciera there is a Purolator air filter, and a Purolator oil filter. Previous owner used that brand faithfully. matter of fact I'm going to Auto Zone today to pick up another Purolator air filter and oil filter. 2 thumbs up!

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmm....sounds like a usable filter....

I´ll try the Purolator at the next oil change...

Thanks for your replies!!

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
i have been using purolator filters for over a year. just this past oil change i switched over to a larger capacity purolator. i'll see how well this worked out in another several thousand miles i suppose. i've put just over 1000 on this batch of oil and haven't really noticed anything different.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I've always used WIX filters, very good quality and only slightly more expensive than discount store brands like Fram, STP,etc... only drawback is they are a little difficult to find sometimes..not a lot of places carry them.. :D

·
Registered
77 Posts
The Mopar #5281090 is a Purolator filter. The only difference is the Mopar still has the large spring in the center behind the anti drainback valve the Purolator brand does not use this spring anymore, it used to. I like the Mopar better and can buy them by the case of 12 for the same price each that Pepboys charges.

Lou

·
Registered
53 Posts
Just bough a Mopar filter from a local Chrysler dealer. Interesting beast. White with blue lettering, it reads "Mopar parts FE292" and "Made in Canada". This is supposed to be the #5281090. Base plate looks like Purolator (8 big holes, 6 big crimps to hold the gasket). Bypass valve is unusual design. It's a 1 inch long cilinder welded on the plate at the bottom of the filter. Also the plate that holds the bypass valve is glued to the filter's inner cilinder (probably to seal against oil leaks), something that I never saw with other filters. Seems to be good stuff.

CrzyCanuck :devil:

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Puralator Pure One?
Buy 2 for the price of the Mobil1, and run extended intervals and change filter twice and top off engine.
5000 (10,000 with LH2 engines) oil change with 5 quarts, and change filter 2500 and pre-fill with 1/2 quart and dump remaining 1/2 into engine.

·
9,861 Posts
I never said it was for synthetic oils. It will work fine with normal oils.

The pureone is pretty good. But I prefer the M1-301:

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
saulns said:
Anybody have any experiences with K&N oil filters, even though they are quite pricey?
I'm currently running a K&N oil filter, but it's my first one, so i haven't had a chance to take a look at it after 6,000 miles with the Mobil1 5W30

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
hypnos said:

The pureone is pretty good. But I prefer the M1-301:
It is unfortunate that the M1-301 doesn't fit a 2.7 (the oil filter would hit the ground) What do you pay for the M1-301? Autozone has the regular size for the same price as the big one, $10.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
You can also get the larger size purolator PURE ONE for ford 5.0 engines....Not sure of the # off hand.. I have it on my car right now..

It's the same as the mobil m1-301...

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
The Purolator P1 equiv of the FL-1A still costs over $10-

The way I work oil changes is this. Fresh fill with Mobil 1 and a standard-sized Purolator P1 filter. 3000-3500 miles later, the stock-sized filter comes off and a double sized replacement goes on. Top off the oil to accomodate the larger filter.

7000 miles of oil costs me less than $40-. At the 1/2 way mark I'm draining and refilling about a quart with the change to the larger filter.

·
Registered
38 Posts
bjlv said:
Since the original question regarded Mopar filters, we can cut right to the chase:

It should be clear that Mopar filters are really nothing special. Unless you are trying to have a perfect restoration and need that Mopar logo, there is no reason why you should be buying Mopar oil filters. Most of them seem to currently be Purolators or Champions, but that could change at any time.
- from SPECIAL FEATURE: Mopar Filters , referenced in the above filter study.

After a lot of research, I've settled on K&N oil filters. A bit pricey, yes, but it's a good filter. If your really want to read up on and discuss oil and filters, I strongly suggest visiting the Bob is the Oil Guy forum

I'm also a fan of using larger filters if you have the room for one. I don't know about how things are on your cars, but there's plenty of room for a longer filter on my 300M. I'm currently running a KN3001, a FL-1A size filter (same size as the Mobil 1 M1-301 mentioned earlier). There isn't a whole lot of room for a filter wrench on the 300M, so the 1" hex on the end of the filter comes in VERY handy.

Purolator "Pure One" filters are highly regarded. I wouldn't have any reservations recommending one, but if you can get over putting a Ford oil filter on a Dodge/Chrysler vehicle, Motorcraft filters are an excellent value. It appears to be a Purolator Pure One filter cartridge in a Purolator Premium Plus case.

Hope this helps,
- Arved
2000 Shale Green Chrysler 300M
Chrysler 300M Enthusiast's Club Member Nr. 754

1 - 20 of 20 Posts