DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just replaced the water pump and timing belt on a 2000 Intrepid 3.2l. As soon as I started it to bleed the air out of the cooling system oil started to bubble up through the reservoir and through the bleeder screw. The oil dip stick is now showing empty. I was unable to remove remove one of the lower compression fittings on the passenger side of the radiator, the big nut came off and the fitting was loose. I completed the job and tightened up the fitting the best I could. Is this an oil cooling line? Could the fitting brake inside and pump all the engine oil into the radiator?
Rectangle Font Gas Audio equipment Composite material

·
Premium Member
18,491 Posts
Yes - there is a heat exchanger in the radiator. Sounds like the heat exchanger is leaking oil into the radiator.

The cooling loop design has issues. More than a few owners (including myself) have removed the cooler supply and return lines. The cooling is of little value considering the risk of problems - Chrysler even de-contented the oil cooler I think it was starting in the middle of the '02 production year.

Let us know if you want to do that. It's relatively simple, but we can provide details so you don't have to re-invent the wheel. In addition, it sounds like you also need a new radiator. The industry standardized on the radiator with cooler to simplify inventory, production versions, and apps listings - you would just leave the gozinta and gozoutta ports unconnected.

Reactions: JordanS

·
Registered
757 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,491 Posts
I use aftermarket rads because the plastic ends bust easy here in the arctic,

Wow! Have people here known about those before? Expensive, but would have been nice to have in the LH heyday.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts