DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, It's summer and I'd rather find the right answer to my problems than use my normal method of trial an error. It's a 94 with a 3.5. Has 220k miles, but I was told the engine was just replaced. As the title says, there seams to be oil in the lower intake and a little in the upper intake. It seems to be the worst on the furthast back cylender. In addition to this the car idels rough and won't start after it has run, unless you let it cool down. When it runs rough it sounds like a galoping hours (kinda). I was thinking I'd just throw on another set of injectors and a coil pack, but I don't want to have to take the intake off again if it is another problem, hence the reason I am looking for advice as to what it could be. Thanks in advance for any advice or ideas.
-Taaf-

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
When were the spark plugs changed ?? Take one out and look at it, if black and oily and worn out, that might be the cause of the rocking engine . The check engine light on ??? Also check the PCV valve. If that's blocked it causes the crancase to pressurize and blow oil past seals.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I already replaced the plugs which were ok but old. however I will check the PCV valve. Thanks for the idea. BTW, not check engine lights.
-Taaf-

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
tdawg said:
I already replaced the plugs which were ok but old. however I will check the PCV valve. Thanks for the idea. BTW, not check engine lights.
-Taaf-
That's weird though, the rocking is either a missfire , but since you have no codes, I'd have to say motor mounts , there might be something wrong with those since you said the eng. was replaced too.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it's not so much a physical rock as it sounds like the injectors or plugs aren't firing right. It sounds like the galop of a hourse. not smooth like it should be. But the no codes really threw me off too.
-Taaf-

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
tdawg said:
it's not so much a physical rock as it sounds like the injectors or plugs aren't firing right. It sounds like the galop of a hourse. not smooth like it should be. But the no codes really threw me off too.
-Taaf-
If you're talking about that ticking noise, that's normal my 94 LHS has it too. It comes with the 3.5 1st gen engines.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
not the ticking noise. I know what that sounds like. This noise sounds like some the the cylenders are not firing at the right time. It sounds like there is slightly different amounts of time between firings. Hard to explain. Sorry, but thanks for all the help.
-Taaf-

·
Banned
338 Posts
a few thoughts:

you said the engine was replaced, maybe they replaced the lower engine and put the intake from the old one which was blowing oil into the intake, so maybe your oil is leftover...Although if this engine was replaced a long time ago the oil should be gone or at least solidified to the intakes innards.

But I would put the money on the PCV..

As for misfiring, a bad pcv valve can contribute to that as well. Check the coil pack. maybe you have a coil with a weak spark. check the wires as well.

Good luck

AJ

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for the advice. Sounds like I'll just change out the coil pack and get a pcv valve ordered.
-Taaf-

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, an update. Got it back togather about a week ago. Replaced PCV, Distributor box, and injectors. Still same problem. Any other ideas. I'm about ready to crash the thing. I may try changing out computers first. I just can't think of what it could be. Could plugged cat do something like this? What else could it posibly be? Thanks for the help.
-Taaf-

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
tdawg said:
Well, an update. Got it back togather about a week ago. Replaced PCV, Distributor box, and injectors. Still same problem. Any other ideas. I'm about ready to crash the thing. I may try changing out computers first. I just can't think of what it could be. Could plugged cat do something like this? What else could it posibly be? Thanks for the help.
-Taaf-
Did you take a look at the mounts ??

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
TERMINATOR101CA said:
Did you take a look at the mounts ??
The mounts are fine. Something is wrong with how the motor runs. It does not run smooth. Thanks for the idea though.
-Taaf-

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
it doesn't have a smooth idle and it's all around rough. it just seems like the timing is off on a couple of the cylenders or something. I have done timing belt, distributor box, and injectors. The only other things I can think of that effect timing is knock sensors and computer. Hopeing someone has a better idea than me trying to replace those too. Thanks. Also, once it has ran for a little bit, if you shut it off, it won't start unless you press on the gas. Then it won't idle on it's own if you let off the gas. I have also replaced IAC. It's crazy. I'm about ready to just try another motor.
-Taaf-

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
tdawg said:
it doesn't have a smooth idle and it's all around rough. it just seems like the timing is off on a couple of the cylenders or something. I have done timing belt, distributor box, and injectors. The only other things I can think of that effect timing is knock sensors and computer. Hopeing someone has a better idea than me trying to replace those too. Thanks. Also, once it has ran for a little bit, if you shut it off, it won't start unless you press on the gas. Then it won't idle on it's own if you let off the gas. I have also replaced IAC. It's crazy. I'm about ready to just try another motor.
-Taaf-
How long has that fuel filter been in the car, might have a fuel pressure problem, check the filter and fuel pump. Just trying to eliminate the cheapest possible culprits !! :drink:

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok, i'll check those. thanks for the idea. I'll prolly have an update in another couple weeks then. I have a tranny, engine and some shocks to do before that car goes back in. Thanks for your help again.
-Taaf-

1 - 18 of 18 Posts