DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went for oil change. They showed me oil was leaking from "way up" above the oil pan, trickling down. Said they need to change the oil gasket, for which it is labor intense, and will cost $220 + $40 for parts. Anything I can do to save money?? There is slight oil drops in my garage (not much), and the dip stick is pretty close to "max".

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Are you able to remove the pan and replace the gasket ?
SURE you are! Drain the oil,(save it?), and unscrew all those little bolts around the edge..Scrape off/remove the old gasket thoroughly,apply a little gasket glue to the pan, stick the new gasket on the pan, replace bolts,tightening them gradually and sequentially.
Don't you feel good about the $220 dollars you just charged yourself for that hour
experience?
Oh Yeah-- put oil back in the engine...

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Um, the 2.7 is a little bit more than that. There's bolts upfront at the timing cover that are a little bit more difficult to get to.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Guys. Per froggy81500, I dont think I could do this job myself, unless I have detailed instructions :-(

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Nevermind...

froggy81500 said:
Um, the 2.7 is a little bit more than that. There's bolts upfront at the timing cover that are a little bit more difficult to get to.
You're right- gotta know your limitations...

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
alarkyokie said:
You're right- gotta know your limitations...
That's why I have that as my favorite quote. Better to know what's invovled with doing a job like this BEFORE getting into it than starting it and realizing you're over your head.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts