DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Oil leak 2.7

801 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  peva 
#1 ·
I know the 2.7 was the worst engine made for the 2002. My Intedid is sentimental. The engine took a **** bc of the notorious oil leaking issues. Ok, I purchased a recon for $2195 plus shipping. I'm NEED to know how long -miles wise-I have before she starts to spew again!?????

#2 ·
Never had any oil leaks in my 1999 Base Intrepid. 130k miles. Sounds like you've got some bogus info regarding "Notorious" leaks.

And where exactly did your original engine leak oil from? More than likely it crapped out from sludge buildup vs an oil leak because regular oil changes were neglected.

Chrysler/Dodge used the 2.7L in LH cars from 1998-2004 with manufacturing/engineering improvements along the way. They continued to use the 2.7L in the LX line of cars for several years after that.

#4 ·
The only other common leak place (more like a drip) is the oil pressure switch. And if your oil pan drain plug hole threads stripped out. Like any other engine could get leaks at front and rear main seals and oil pan gasket.

High oil usage (not external leak) is common well north of 100k miles from bad valve stem seals. PCV system (hoses and valve) neglect can cause serious oil usage also.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.