DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I noticed I have an oil leak, I find the leak and it's coming from my oil filter. Before I took the filter I could see what I thought $as the rubber seal foe the filter, but after I took off the filter it still had it's seal and what looks like another rubber seal. Does anyone know if the oil filter adapter is supposed to have a seal on it or not?

·
Woober Goobers!
49,877 Posts
Only one should be on the oil filter itself. Sounds like someone didn't remove the old seal that was stuck to the adapter.

·
Premium Member
16,634 Posts
Probably *the* most important part of an oil change is verifying you’re not double-gasketing the new filter (i.e., old gasket didn’t stay with filter bracket) - rare to happen, but when it does, can be disastrous if not noticed quickly. When double gasketed, they can dump a bunch of oil on the ground in a hurry. Very seldom do they happen to almost line up and only leak a little. Even if they do, the one that’s not constrained by the filter grove can blow out from pressure. Like a dam busting.

·
Registered
293 Posts
What Ronbo said.

If you get your oil changes done some where, never go there again. They use the cheapest filters which filter almost nothing anyway, and they fall apart!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts