DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the oil light started flickering today. My car does use up some oil and also leaks some. Usually when I change my oil after 3,000 miles, the oil is starting to get low. I lost track of when I needed to change my oil this time. So when the flicker came on, I decided to check. It was very low on oil. I put a quart in and drove. It came back on. I checked again and there was oil on the dipstick, but still below the "low". I added 2 quarts of oil. The light did not come back on until I hit an ice patch and the car spun around. It came back on and has been flickering ever since. I checked the oil and the oil is filled. Why is it still flickering?

·
Registered
6,638 Posts
i do believe that is a common problem on the 2.7's. supposed to be a oil pressure switch i believe. perhaps someone with a 2.7 will let us know

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,516 Posts
Start by replacing the pressure switch. Make sure you get one from the dealer or it will flicker again...the aftermarket sensors are not calibrated as tight....if it still flickers, with a Mopar sensor, an oil pressure test is in your future.

·
get off my lawn
15,505 Posts
its on the right side of the engine,, really not to bad if you can get the car in the air enough to get under it

and as Dan sez,, get one from the dealer,, its like 19 bucks,

·
That rhythm is INFECTIOUS.
18,595 Posts
Thanks a lot guys. Will anything happen if I do not replace it other then me being annoyed by the light?
Well, if you DO develop a real oil pressure problem in the future, you'll never know if you don't get it replaced. And that would be bad. :glum:

But in the near term, you will not be causing any harm by not replacing it.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I was wrong! When driving through a park yesterday, I was slowing down going towards a stop sign and the car started shaking and died. I let it sit a minute and tried to start it. It started but was very rough. It got better and started running normal again. I went to my parents and left the car running in the driveway for about 5 minutes while I ran inside real fast. When I got back to my place, my dad called and told me there was a puddle of oil in the driveway when I left.

SOOO.... I took today off and worked on it. Found the oil was leaking from the oil pressure sending unit. I looked it up on here, called my mechanic to get me the part cheap, and fix it. Seems to be good now. I used brake cleaner to clean the bottom of my filthy engine. I have a feeling this was leaking for a while. I also got an over sized drain plug and fixed that too so I can make sure no more oil leaks from anywhere. Hoping it is all good now! Thanks again guys.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I have a 3.5 and have a similar problem with mine. I have a "slight" oil leak with my car, it doesn't seem to be too bad (but I don't know much about it really). I get some drips in my drive way - depends on how much I drive as to how much oil I get it seems. I have to add a quart inbetween oil changes. However, when it comes time to add/change my oil, my oil light constantly flickers on and off only when I come to a stop. I have no idea where it's leaking from, why the light flickers or what the deal is... and, I am by far *no* mechanic. I'm off work tomorrow and am actually going to take it to my mechanic so he can tinker with it though.

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
I have a 3.5 and have a similar problem with mine. I have a "slight" oil leak with my car, it doesn't seem to be too bad (but I don't know much about it really). I get some drips in my drive way - depends on how much I drive as to how much oil I get it seems. I have to add a quart inbetween oil changes. However, when it comes time to add/change my oil, my oil light constantly flickers on and off only when I come to a stop. I have no idea where it's leaking from, why the light flickers or what the deal is... and, I am by far *no* mechanic. I'm off work tomorrow and am actually going to take it to my mechanic so he can tinker with it though.
Have him check the valve cover gasket areas the oil pan gasket area the oil pressure switch and the drain plug.

There the areas they leak from.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Thanks for the tip, crypt! :) I have to take it back in a minute, he was really busy this morning. I'll be sure to write that down and tell him. Though, I'm starting to think I just need to send you my car so you can fix it's boo-boo's, lol

·
Registered
4 Posts
You're lucky. The 2.7 in my 98 Intrepid might need a crank bearing job.
It seems my daughter drove it for I don't know how many miles with
the oil light going on & off, and it looks like there is definitely some damage
done to the engine. I had to add 4 quarts of oil to get it up to where
it should be on the dipstick.
It has been leaking oil from somewhere for just over a month now,
and I have been adding about 2 quarts a week to keep it on the dipstick.

Last week the AC compressor clutch belt got shredded, and the alternator/
power steering belt jumped off. I replaced both belts, but it looks like there
is seroius misalignment on the crank pulley from the others- it looks like it
is about 1/4" further back from where it should be, causing the PS/Alt belt
to keep jumping off about 2-3 grooves when I start the engine.
I wasn't able to tell from where the leak was coming from- that is until today
when I pulled it up onto the ramps to change the oil filter.
It is throwing oil out the front crank seal, and the crank pulley is right up tight
against the front engine cover.

My question is can the crank bearings be seviced without hoisting
the engine out, and being a 1998, in fair condition, is it worth the trouble,
or should I just cut my losses and trade the car in?

(This car has been nothing but trouble right from Day One,
first the alternator, then the power steering pump, then the blower
motor resistor, then the battery, then the brake lines, now this.
This car has been nothing but a money pit.
After just 8-9 months, I am, to say the least, pretty darn disgusted.
Since I got this car from a private owner, there is no lemon law for that,
but I think he must have known something about it that I didn't.)
I hope someone local has a Push, Pull or Drag sale soon!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Longtime reader, first time poster. I believe this may fit my situation. I have a 2.7 and the light flickers mostly when idle or if I am doing under about 40mph. Now could this also keep setting off the engine check light if the sensor is faulty? I have pulled into Autozone 4 different times when the check engine is on and the hookup the free obd II tester and it will come up with nothing. I turn the car on and the light will be off. But after about 85 miles of driving the light will finally come back on again. I have had smoke run through the system, replaced the engine oil cap and the gas cap with new ones, as suggested by someone. A bad sensor or an oil pump trying to die is what I am down to in my opinion.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts