DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon everyone.

Does anyone know what the oil pressure should be in a 2001 intrepid with a 3.5 I developed so lifter noise while running for lunch today I did the oil change last week and now I have this noise I am going to do an oil pressure test but cant find out what the psi should be.

·
Woober Goobers!
49,530 Posts
Ask and ye shall receive! Bottom Right corner of the page.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks a bunch I did the oil pressure test and I have 20 psi at idle and a really nasty valve tick I tried a motor flush still pretty loud not sure what I am going do with this car might just junk it.

·
Premium Member
16,517 Posts
Could be lifter/lash adjuster, or you might need to replace the complete rocker assemblies with new ones, which some people have had to do for valve train noise if it's not a lifter/lash adjuster.

The car must have other more serious problems if you're thinking of junking it.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no other problems just tired of playing with this car I started the car this morning still had the tick I ordered another engine with 12 month warranty and has 74 thousand miles on it should be here Tuesday I will install it need the car by Thursday funny thing though I decided to drive the car today about 10 miles with the tick and when I got home it was gone I figured if I drove it with the tick I might do some damage and can confirm the lifter tick so when I pull it out I might have it repaired and let it sit for when I need it again or buy my wife an intrepid she loves my car anyways when I returned home no more tick let it sit and cool off a couple hours still no tick gonna check in the morning and see still gonna pull and replace the engine just a very weird problem

·
Woober Goobers!
49,530 Posts
If it's "ticking" it's still running!

Better than "Knocking"!

It's up to you.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah it is still running but not sure for how long and the ticking got way worse thought it might turn into a knock but then just poof gone no more ticking so I am thinking since I already bought the other engine might as well use it and repair this motor just a thought was also thinking to give the wife the trep and get a 300 for myself but again just thoughts

·
Premium Member
16,517 Posts
FWIW, some have found to have less or no tick on startup if they keep the oil level close to the Full mark. Not sure why that would be - the only reason I could think of is that the pickup tube is draining back/emptying when it sits due either to a bad ADB valve in the oil filter or a bad o-ring in the pickup tube so it takes an extra second or two to get oil pumped to the top end.

But for whatever reason that is, I suggest you be sure to keep the oil level topped up and see if that makes a difference.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts