DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Yesterday I installed a Fumoto oil drain bolt, and noticed today oil is seeping from the bolt. I tightened the bolt just a bit with a wrench, and now more oil is leaking out. What do you think is happening here?

Tommorow I'm going down to the local oil change shop & have them look at it. Maybe the bolt just needs some tightening. I really hope I didn't strip the oil pan.

·
Registered
518 Posts
was the original bolt stripped before you installed the drain valve?

its either stripped or you have the drain valve on kinda cock-eyed...sorry brotha.

·
Banned
4,553 Posts
The oil pans on the LH vehicles aren't the greatest piece of quality craftsmanship. They are notorious for stripped threads and cracks on the pan itself (around the drain plug). If the threads are ok, my first guess would be that you've got a small crack in the pan. My original pan had a small crack in it which was just barely visible if I tightened the drain plug really tight. If that's the case, time for a new/used pan unless you can get someone to weld it up for you.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey guys,

I just got back from my local lube shop, and found that the gasket that came with the Futmoto oil drain bolt was torn. So we put another gasket, and the bolt still seeped oil.

So back goes the magnetic oil drain bolt, and so far no leaks. I'm thinking about just taking the Fumoto oil drain bolt back for a refund.

One thing that struck me odd was my friend who said I had more than enough oil. Now he checked the level of the oil when it was hot, so to me you get a false reading. He said I'm not properly checking the oil if I check it first thing in the morning because the "veins" have dried.

How does everyone else check their oil? Thanks!

·
Registered
663 Posts
As long as your in the target area on the stick. Relax. Do be so anal. Just don't put to much or to little in. You have a bit a of a margin of error.

·
Registered
639 Posts
My fumotovalve works just fine. I don't see any problems with how they made the pan and drain plug threads. I have had the pan off and examined the construction (95 3.5L). They have welded what seems like a big bolt on the inside. If there are any gouges where the bolt gasket seals, it could cause a leak. I didn't like the fumotovalve seal so I used a new one that was stiffer (plastic type). In my old toyota I used some RTV on the gasket since the seal is not smooth and has some large scratches.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Communicator7 said:
Hey guys,

I just got back from my local lube shop, and found that the gasket that came with the Futmoto oil drain bolt was torn. So we put another gasket, and the bolt still seeped oil.

So back goes the magnetic oil drain bolt, and so far no leaks. I'm thinking about just taking the Fumoto oil drain bolt back for a refund.

One thing that struck me odd was my friend who said I had more than enough oil. Now he checked the level of the oil when it was hot, so to me you get a false reading. He said I'm not properly checking the oil if I check it first thing in the morning because the "veins" have dried.

How does everyone else check their oil? Thanks!
I check my oil first thing in the morning before start up, or after it sits for at least 15 minutes. The readings will be the same, but doing it first thing in the morning is more fun because I don't have to wipe it off before I actually check it. I've never had the handle break off of the dip stick but others at this site have had it happen. So if I only have to pull it out once and put it back in , it would be a lot less stress on the handle. The only time I check it 15 mins after running is right after an oil change.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Check your owners manual but I believe it supposed to be cold or after the oil has drained back into the pan (15 mins sounds right). i usually check it at every fuel fill up but I fill the tank and then check the oil so it sits for about 5 mins or so.
Any engine oil level will be slighty lower if you check it immediately after shut down. Not a huge amount, but lower. The only real concern is overfilling the crankcase and running the risk of aerating the oil (causing loss of lubrication). But it's unlikely you will see a low enough level after running to make you think it needs oil and overfilling it. Just never fill it more than 3/4 on the stick and you should be fine regardless.

Cheers

BJ

1 - 8 of 8 Posts