DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok...i changed my spark plugs yesterday....almost everyone had tons of oil dripping off them...my dad said it was some gasket or vavle cover thing..im really not sure...anyways i started it up....smoked for awhile....check engine light came on.....but now....when im at idle in park or the thing rocks...like it has a preformance cam or something...and when i drive with cruise control....it studders...im going to reset it...and see if its still on...any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Teamhex2002 said:
ok...i changed my spark plugs yesterday....almost everyone had tons of oil dripping off them...my dad said it was some gasket or vavle cover thing..im really not sure...anyways i started it up....smoked for awhile....check engine light came on.....but now....when im at idle in park or the thing rocks...like it has a preformance cam or something...and when i drive with cruise control....it studders...im going to reset it...and see if its still on...any suggestions?
You have a misfire in one or more cylinders...Are you sre you got the right gap on the sparkplugs ??

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
dont know about codes...if the light doesnt go off...im going to autozone to get em....i dont know about gaps....i mean i bought themm all from autozone in the box....same brand...everything

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
o crap...i just remebered something....on one of the plugs...i tryed screwin it in with another one in there....maybe i bent that gap thing??

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Well, you could just found out about the codes, by doing the key trick:

CHECK ENGINE LIGHT (MIL)

Cycle the ignition key to ON, OFF, ON, OFF, ON within 5 seconds.

Count the number of times the MIL (check engine light) on the instrument panel flashes on and off. The number of flashes represents the trouble code. There is a slight pause between the flashes representing the first and second digits of the code. Longer pauses separate the individual two digit trouble code.

An example of a flashed DTC is as follows:

Lamp flashes 4 times, pauses, and then flashes 6 more times. This indicates a DTC code of 46.

Lamp flashes 5 times, pauses, then flashes 5 more times. This indicates a DTC code of 55. A DTC of 55 will always be the last code to be displayed. This indicates the end of all stored codes.

Also you got to Gap the plugs when you get them out of the box. I'd pull the plugs and check their Gap.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Valve cover gasket lets oil into ur sparkplug holes if u have a shop do it have then go ahead and replace the spark plug seals itll be around 350-$400

studdering...sounds like a injector :)

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
check your spark plug wires

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
As long as you're sure that "I Pwn Noobs" is a good, descriptive handle to use, you might want to check your pcv valve as well as the EGR.

A good forum search will tell you how to do the 'key dance' and pull diag and error codes out of your car.

·
Mopar or No Car
7,869 Posts
Did you clean out the spark plug tubes with a lint-free rag? You could have fouled a new plug by covering it in oil when you installed it. O2 sensor could be fouled - it could be anything at this point if your O-rings are leaking that bad and you didn't clean up a little.

You really need to get those codes off the computer to point in the right direction ...

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Just disconnect the Batt. for a few minute's should do the trick.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts