DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm really not in the best shape to be working on my car. I spent a few weeks going through a list of things to do and replacing things on the engine. One was the whole EGR valve and solenoid assembly. The old one was so plugged with black tar there was not much left through it but a pinhole. The end result after resetting the ECU was the absence of the error code 32 and finally no more check engine light a year after seeing it first appear. All of a sudden tonight, 150 miles after the repairs, the CEL shows its evil face again and turns out to be another code 32.

Now, the idle is much smoother than it used to be but the car still seems to rumble a bit, not enough to jar my head all over. The idle was ok when I first got the car started up again, now it goes from 750 and slowly dips to 550 at idle creating the rough idle to begin with. Once it dips it doesn't go up until I get moving and stop again. Does this sound like my EGR valve just went bad again?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I disconnected the battery, I'm going to reset the PCM and we'll see if the light doesn't come back on again. If it does, I'm officially baffled. Barring a defect in the EGR I installed, I don't know why the EGR could be tripping a code like it is. The only thing I can possibly think of is that the EGR holes on the intake might be clogged up, but the code 32 is for a malfunction of the valve or solenoid, so a clogged tube especially further up towards the intake won't really effect a vacuum opening and closing a valve. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping this is just a little glitch.

Any tricks I can try to make sure the valve IS working within spec?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its the mechanic's problem now. It seems like the CEL is coming on in the exact same fashion it did before when the EGR valve was replaced. Reset CEL and it'd come back on in 20 or so miles. Good news is the valve has a 12 month warranty.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Even my mechanic is baffled now. He says the EGR tube could be clogged, but I figured it wouldn't matter if the valve was functioning, isn't the solenoid the only component of the EGR system electronically monitored? Its hooked into the wiring harness. I figure as long as the solenoid is functioning the CEL shouldn't show a fault. And the solenoid should be functioning, regardless of the vacuum to and from the solenoid. Its all electrical.

So I still have no idea whats going on... but it'd be nice if the low, rough idle at a stop was related to the EGR problem.

·
Registered
177 Posts
If the EGR tube is clogged it would throw a code 32. The 02 output is monitered as the EGR is switched on and off. If the tube is clogged the O2 voltage would not change indicating no EGR operation.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Check the condition of the electrical plug that plugs into the EGR solinoid. Mine was very corroded with white oxidation.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Also just make sure all the tubes are hooked back up and nothing fell off. When I replaced mine I noticed that some of the tubes fell off. Also I'd take off the PVC valve thing, and spray that baby with some carb cleaner, just because you're already replacing the EGR.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.