DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a black 01 ES, and after 7 months, the swirl marks are killing me. I wash it 4-5 times a week, so it always looks good, but it's unbelieable how many swirl marks I'm getting. I've waxed it 5 times, first with meguires, then I tried some of the colored wax, then last week I tried mothers. Mothers helped a little, but I'm ready to put the time and effort into the multiple step route.

So, how about some help/advice from all you detailing pros. All my scratches seem to be clearcoat only, nothing deep. But the hood and rear deck are the worst. From 5 feet away it looks perfect, but come closer and the car, at least the paint, looks 5 years old!

So, whats best for swirls on a dark car? All opinions welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Dave :confused:

·
Registered
297 Posts
Here's what i did to remove them.

First use a cleaner wax like 3M's cleaner wax. Do the whole car and then use 3M's hand glaze for Dark cars. This goes on like wax.
Let the car sit for an hour or two then finish it with Gliptone wax. The finish will be unbelievable and look like glass. Let me know if it works out

·
Registered
407 Posts
I've used the Zaino products on the Intrepid and my old Firebird (dark Green) and will not use anything else from now on. The Firebird really showed the swirls but after a few coats of Zaino z5 followed by z2 the finish looked like it had just been painted.

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
BK: after you apply the Z5... do you leave on and then apply the Z2 or do you wipe off the Z5 then apply Z2?

·
Registered
407 Posts
DJ: The Z5 is wiped off and then Z2 is applied. What I do is use the Z1 which is the paint prep, let it dry and then apply the Z5 over it and let the Z5 dry. When these two coats have dried then wipe the car off and if you want either apply more Z5 or apply the Z2. The url for Zaino in case anyone wants it is www.zainobros.com

·
Registered
558 Posts
CHAMPCAR39

Don't feel bad or alone. My 01 Black R/T looks like sh%t close up as well. On a cloudy day or as u say, 5' away, looking good. Its all over my hood, some on the roof, around the door edges. Man,,,those exotic imports don't seem to be swirled as bad.
Well, maybe it'll stay cloudy. Maybe I'll look at my car only when I'm 5 feet away. With winter coming, whats the diff. It'll be all white anyhow and I won't see any swirl marks.
Maybe next spring I'll Zaino the car upon advice from the rest of you guys.
Don't fret. Hang in tuff!! :eek: :eek: :(

Danny
Capitalcity R/T
01 Black R/T
Full of Swirlz

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
CapitalCity - You should see the parking lot at work. Almost all of the black cars have tons of swirl marks. Take your pick too, VW's, BMW, Accura's etc. Now, they may run them through a car wash, I don't know but black is almost impossible to keep up. My wife's 93 Vision is black and the way you describe yours describes hers to a T. It's funny how many people remark how good her car looks from 20 feet away, I shudder when they get close, actually I tell them it looks like crap. Said I'd never own a black car again but somehow they keep popping up every so often. I must say though, when they're freshly painted - I still think it looks the best. Too bad though it just seems you can't keep them up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts