DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried cycling the key to on 3 times, but I can't get it to work, the dash doesn't display anything???

I must be doing something wrong?

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
If there are no codes, you won't get anything. I've tried it after resetting my CEL with my code reader and got nothing but the normal odometer reading.

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought it was supposed to flash 'done' or something?

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Mine flashes "done" after it shows the stored codes. But any time I've tried to check codes when there wasn't any all I got was just the odo. I'll double check in that shortly, as I'm going out to the other job shortly.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Ok so I'm assuming your check engine is on, right? Then, did you tried it in neutral?? (with the foot break engaged) It always worked like that for mine and my dad's '02.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Bimmer_2002 said:
Ok so I'm assuming your check engine is on, right? Then, did you tried it in neutral?? (with the foot break engaged) It always worked like that for mine and my dad's '02.
I just check my codes this way yesterday. I had to engage the parking break and put it in neutral. I'm not sure if it is necessary to put it in neutral though. Somewhere else I read the parking break just needs to be engaged.
Anyway, try to put it in neutral, engage the foot break and turn the key rather quickly off-on-off-on-off-on. If the system registered a fault code it will display it on your total mileage/trip odometer display. After it cycled through all the codes it'll read dOne. Write down the code(s) and do a search on the net.

That's how it worked for me just yesterday. Good luck!

-Andy

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
I've never had to do it any other way other than with the car in park. And I've still got an old code stored from a few weeks ago. But I have tried checking mine to see if the EGR code came bck before, and all I got was the odometer. I have read others having to put it in gear, or foot on the brake, or put on the parking brake, etc... All I've ever done is get in the car, and do the key dance and its worked every time, no brakes or changing gears or anything.

·
Registered
36 Posts
froggy81500 said:
I've never had to do it any other way other than with the car in park. And I've still got an old code stored from a few weeks ago. But I have tried checking mine to see if the EGR code came bck before, and all I got was the odometer. I have read others having to put it in gear, or foot on the brake, or put on the parking brake, etc... All I've ever done is get in the car, and do the key dance and its worked every time, no brakes or changing gears or anything.
It is kind of strange. I never did the diagnostics test until yesterday. I got in my car and just tried to turn the key 3 times. Nothing happened. So I tried several times more and still nothing happened. Then I engaged the parking break and put the gear in neutral... et voilà it worked. I don't know why there would be a difference in how to run the test. Either way, you're just going to have to try and see what works for you.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
froggy81500 said:
Germerican said:
It is kind of strange. I never did the diagnostics test until yesterday. I got in my car and just tried to turn the key 3 times. Nothing happened. So I tried several times more and still nothing happened. Then I engaged the parking break and put the gear in neutral... et voilà it worked. I don't know why there would be a difference in how to run the test. Either way, you're just going to have to try and see what works for you.

00r/t.mopar.muscle said:
Definitely try it in neutral with your foot on the brake. Thats the only way it works on my r/t

LHSDriver01 said:
Same deal with the LHS. Only works in neutral.
Looks like I'm not the only one that has to put it in neutral. For a moment I thought this was a canadian thing, eh? lol.

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm gonna go try it right now.......

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
.......put it in neutral......'dONE'

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
9,831 Posts
What the hell are you guys talking about? Simply put the key in the acell position (without your foot on the brake or other weird crap), and cycle the key 3 times quickly. If there are NO codes you won't get anything at all. No numbers, words, etc,etc... if you do have codes, they will display and at the end the word "done" will appear. That is all. ;)

·
Woober Goobers!
50,363 Posts
What the hell is the "acell" position?

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
crombie said:
What the hell are you guys talking about? Simply put the key in the acell position (without your foot on the brake or other weird crap), and cycle the key 3 times quickly. If there are NO codes you won't get anything at all. No numbers, words, etc,etc... if you do have codes, they will display and at the end the word "done" will appear. That is all. ;)
I appreciate you telling me what works for my car. I CANNOT get codes if my car is not in neutral, I tried unsuccessfully many times before finding out about the neutral thing. Just because something works with your car doesn't mean that its the same for everyone else. Glad you were able to do it avenger-perhaps its and r/t thing?

·
Registered
9,831 Posts
Ronbo said:
What the hell is the "acell" position?
You never heard of that before? Either the owners manual, or the Haynes manual speaks of it. It might be the name of the position when all of the electronics are turned on by flipping the key without actually starting the car up.

00r/t.mopar.muscle said:
I appreciate you telling me what works for my car. I CANNOT get codes if my car is not in neutral,
Then I guess that your car is ****ed up then slick.

·
Registered
36 Posts
crombie said:
You never heard of that before? Either the owners manual, or the Haynes manual speaks of it. It might be the name of the position when all of the electronics are turned on by flipping the key without actually starting the car up.

Then I guess that your car is ****ed up then slick.
Well, I guess mines ****ed up too then. I tried several different scenarios. The only way it'll work on my 2004 SE is if you engage the parking break.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts