DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
get off my lawn
15,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i was sitting here this morn,, looking at trep.net,, and i smelled something burning,, i didnt see anything thought it was comming from outside,
needless to say,, my Gateway fried its self,, something in the mother board cooked,,,
so now,,, i went and baught myself a noname , custom made,
thing 280ghz 448 mb of ram, pentium 4
I paid 500 for it dvd burner 1 year service contrat i declined the moniter cause i have a 19 inch flatscreen
it seems to be a smooth running machine, much more so than the gateway was,
did i get a good deal or what? :smilie_ha

·
Registered
63 Posts
Ok if its 280 Ghz id damn near shat myself. But im going to go with you meant 2.8 Ghz. But yeah thats not a bad deal. You didnt put the specs for the hard drive though, or did you mean 280 gigs for the hard drive?

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
kcarlos2000 said:
2.8 CPU sounds good 448MB Ram does not sound good. Usually RAM is 256MB, 512MB, 768MB, 1024MB and so on do not see 448MB often.
Yeah, it sounds like it must have 3 sticks of 128 & then 1 64. I can't understand why you would do that unless they got a really good deal on some 128s. Now, all the slots are full and its only 448. At the very least I would have put 2 x 256. What are the specs on the processor, what type of memory(DDR, DDR2, SD)and what does it have for a HD, video card, sound card, etc?

·
Registered
711 Posts
448 sounds right, it depends on a bunch of stuff, AND how much windows feels like taking... for some reason, windows reports mine with a big diff than my bios.... 2.8GHz isnt bad... I think you did alright, if the hard drive is more than 80GB... I can always set up a netmeeting session to make that baby faster with a few tweaks, if you want

·
get off my lawn
15,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes hard drive is 80 gb
and heck yes I love speed,,,LOL

·
Registered
219 Posts
lol that cpu will rock ur socks and ram... well its not bad but not the best. 612 will be a start of any fast speed machine but with that Cpu u have u wont even notice the diffrence lol so yea.. and for 500 wow... cheappo at least for me it is.

·
Registered
795 Posts
That kind of sounds like a thrown together older system.... With all the new price drops you could get some newer components for that cash:

You could have gotten this: for $250 US

Intel 805 D Dual core CPU
ASRock 775I65G Motherboard
Samsung PC3200 512MB DDR400
Logisys CS-51WBK Black ATX Tower Case
450W PSU

Add a cheap HD for $60, cheap burner for $30 and youd have enough left for a cheap video card like this $80 Radeon 9600 XT!

Total of $420 plus shipping.

(I just went through building my own pc, so I've found some good deals lately! :turn: )

I'm sure that system will be fine... I actually will be getting rid of my POS gateway also, I think anything would be a step up!

·
Registered
219 Posts
DJDiggler said:
That kind of sounds like a thrown together older system.... With all the new price drops you could get some newer components for that cash:

You could have gotten this: for $250 US

Intel 805 D Dual core CPU
ASRock 775I65G Motherboard
Samsung PC3200 512MB DDR400
Logisys CS-51WBK Black ATX Tower Case
450W PSU

Add a cheap HD for $60, cheap burner for $30 and youd have enough left for a cheap video card like this $80 Radeon 9600 XT!

Total of $420 plus shipping.

(I just went through building my own pc, so I've found some good deals lately! :turn: )

I'm sure that system will be fine... I actually will be getting rid of my POS gateway also, I think anything would be a step up!

well if u put it that way.... than the moneys a waste... but u bought it already right? unless u can do something about it i dont think it sounds so bad....

·
Registered
795 Posts
By all means, I'm just recommending an alternitive.... The system is good if you bought it already. Theres always something on sale somewhere, you can go crazy finding the best deal! (I spent all last night trying to build mine :sleep: )

·
Registered
39 Posts
Weird ram= Shared Video

The weird amount of ram is becuase its probably shared video memory. 64 megs are used for the video ram since his video card is probably not dedicated. 512-64= 448 You can usually specify in BIOS how much you want to be used for video.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
448 Mb of available ram makes sense if it's really 512 Mb and the on-board video is capturing 64 mb for display memory.

·
get off my lawn
15,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well i had already baught it,, and its fine for me maybe i payed a tad too much,, but for what i use it for its fine

·
Registered
391 Posts
DrDodge said:
did i get a good deal or what? :smilie_ha
not a deal at all, with 448ram you proably have two 256 sticks and 64 megs of them are for video. They probably stuck in one of those vid cards that uses the memory of the system for the vid. You aint gonna be playin any games or editing stuff with that system but its perfect for internet and email. Remember that intel cpu cycles are slower than amds, at least regarding the p4. So 2.8ghz is really like 2, or maybe 2.2. Anyway the difference is not that noticable, what will be noticable if you throw in a 512 stick to total a gig memory and up the shared usage for your vid card (if it is allowed past 64mb)

and then buy another hd and raid your shiznit.

:fun_27:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts