DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...and was wondering what I want to be aware of with my car. Any sticky points? My '95 Intrepid seems to run fine at the moment, and has the 3.3 motor.

·
9,861 Posts
Welcome.

Steering rack bushings I would say is the main issue. There a pretty good howto on how to replace them.

There can be transmission issues, if you don't take care of it. Keep it full of MOPAR ATF 4.

There have been problems with the fuel rail/injector O rings.

Overall, it should be a pretty dependable car.

·
Registered
6,362 Posts
welcome aboard. 3.3s seem to be a bit more dependable than the 3.5 so you're in luck. No tranny replacement in your near future..

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well it was my father-in-laws before it was mine. He traded up for a new Maxima and pretty much gave it to my wife and I. Given that he would run the car to the doctor everytime it had the the perverbial runny nose, most of the list you mention has been replaced. Even the transmission was replaced on his extended warranty. Not really certain about the fuel rail/injector O rings but I will check on that.

Great site you all have here though.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Hi Phacade,

The steering and suspension components are what tends to go first on these cars. Ball joints, tie rods, etc. aside from what has been mentioned.

Change your tranny fluid once in a while and your oil regularly, and you should have NO problems with your engine, tranny, or the body. These are great cars. :)

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
9,861 Posts
The 3.5 does not have any issues. You just have to change the timing belt/tensioner. Even if you dont, when it goes, it wont cause valve damage in 90% of cases. But it will leave you stranded.

3.3 has a chain.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Welcome to the site! Although I drive a 1996 with the 3.5 liter I've heard that the 3.3 is a great engine that is really durable and dependable. I know someone that has an older Grand Caravan with that engine that has 180,000 miles with no problems yet. One of the weaker points of these cars are the transmissions. They aren't bad if maintained properly (regular filter and fluid change along with the periodic flush).

Enjoy your time at DI.net and best of luck to you with your fine American automobile. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts