DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I guess some of you can help me with that one.

I want to buy an old car (65 to 75), of course I want it to be Chrysler or Dodge or Plymouth. If everything goes as I want, I should get one at the end of summer. If it works it would be my first time trying to restore an old car :cool:

So the question, a V-8 318 cid, is it easy to get part to repair? And is it easy to get some part for, let say give it some more gutz?
My guess is yes, since they still use 318cid in trucks, But I want to be sure.

Thanks

·
Registered
149 Posts
see if you can find a '68 Dodge Charger R/T 440 (I know, everyone wants one) or a '69 Dodge Dart GTS (neighbor has one and I love it) or a '70 Dodge Challenger R/T (like a Vanishing Point car).... by no means are these the only good Mopar muscle cars, but just some of my personal favorites :)

·
Registered
124 Posts
If you are looking at souping up an old 318 don't bother its only worth it on the Magnum era 318's such as 1990's and up. Get a 383,400, or 440 to build up for it or at least a 340, 360 small block I myself have a 361 2bbl '66 Charger that is my baby. Try to find a unique car. Mopar sure has a lot of old unique vehicles. Good Luck on what you find!!
Donnie

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
OK 70's 318 became the 340 which became the 360. As mentioned nowhere as quick as 383 or 426 or 440, but in a smaller mopar like a dart or valiant can be at least somewhat agressive. How much money you have is going to determine how nice a car you can buy. Early Chargers are nice, but newer ones (70's) were quicker. If you want unusual try an early 60's Valiant pre Baracuda era and drop in a 360. Lotsa choices to make...Good luck!

·
Registered
378 Posts
If you can stay away from 318 for the purpose of souping up. at the end of the day you still just have a 318. these arent sought after. stay with bigger motors.Not to say that you cant make bigt horses but stick with bigger engines...

·
Registered
995 Posts
the odds of finding someone hocking a late 60 early 70's mopar, that afforable and ok enough for a first timer restoro. not good.

Try looking for a mid 70's Mirada, Dart, New Yorker

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the infos.

Actually I will be looking for a low budget car (we need to start somehere:bigsmile: ), and the cars that I had in mind were Dodge Dart or Plymouth Scamp early 70's.

I guess that if I have lot of fun doing these restoration/modification, I could swap a bigger engine in that car. Hopefully a 383 (if it fits) or 360.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Dodge Demon...I always loved that car. A neighbor of mine once had a resto'd Dodge Demon, black. Boy, was that a sweet car.

Good luck. I can't wait until I can take the "muscle car" plunge. Be sure to let us know what you find.

·
Banned
4,553 Posts
Go find ya one of the old Barracuda's! The 67's are awesome looking! lol! :biggrin: Make sure to get the 318 w/towing package. Top speed of about 90, but the oversize fan makes it sound like your going 190, until the clutch fan kicks out! My Uncle had one that I did some work on. I drove it around for about 2 weeks. His was kinda banana yellow. Goofy looking car (IMO)!! I'm really glad they went to the later 'Cuda design!

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
MoparFan03 said:
Thanks for the infos.

Actually I will be looking for a low budget car (we need to start somehere:bigsmile: ), and the cars that I had in mind were Dodge Dart or Plymouth Scamp early 70's.

I guess that if I have lot of fun doing these restoration/modification, I could swap a bigger engine in that car. Hopefully a 383 (if it fits) or 360.
As a matter of fact, if you go just a little more recent, go with the replacements for those cars i.e. Volare/Aspen Some of them came stock with the 360, but keep in mind, as I mentioned earlier, the 318/340/360 is basically trhe same block, just bored out. I had a '76 Road Runner which was a Volare with the 360 and HD suspension. If you go that route, find one with a V-8 instead of the 6 as you have to change out the K arm to swap up. Darts and Dusters are probably the same way. You may have better luck finding Volare/Aspens and prices may be better. In just a few years from now they will be just as collectable.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Man i'm gonna have to disagree with just about everyone on this thread, if you can get a 70 and older car with a 318 give err the 1970 318 came factory 245 Hp with a cheesy 2 barrel and a single exhaust :biggrin: and all you hatting on the 318 can come get some agains't my 70 318 block duster :tongue: not trying to pick fights with anyone i mean sure the big blocks such as the 383 440 and of course the awe inspiring 426 hemi (525 HP factory) are nice but a 318 340 can be built to handle a LOT of HP lets just say mine with the mods is pushin in the neighbourhood of 450 hp not much but then again it's also got around 575 ft/lbs of torque, so in essence it depends on what you want to build it for if your just gonn be doing light to light racing find yourself a nice small block dart deamon or duster. just my two cents

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
You are correct about the diminishing ponies for ANY car post 1970, when the federal emmisions program first kicked in. The average car for 1971 was 15 - 25 HP less with the same engine...

The other side of the coin is the lack of availability of decent gas to power older engine's octane and antiknock requirements.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Actually to tell you the truth my 70 duster with a 4" stroke crack forged pop up pistons and .60 over runs just fine on pump gas altough with regular gas it does knock ocasinally under extreme load but then again as with any older car you can always change the timing so it doesn't knock or just go to crappy tire and get gass aditives hehe

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
ok here is my .01 look for a 1966/67 dodge charger there are few around with fair prices just look on ebay there are few good ones but look careful also get a hemmings motor news book the have all kinds of older cars also they are line for easy lookng good luck keep us informed take it easy or any way you like

·
Registered
34 Posts
Personally I would look for an mid 60's Valiant with a 273 engine.Enough were built that there still are parts around.
You'll have enough performance and not make your insurance company nervous with a 340 or better engine. my 2 cents

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
If you want a musclecar era Mopar all I can say is the sooner the better. Prices for these gems have been on the rise for the past 10 years with no signs of it stopping.
I have a 69 Super Bee. A full restoration has really slowed down not only due to lack of funds but also due to an increase in prices for the parts that I need.

·
9,861 Posts
jfsram said:
If you want a musclecar era Mopar all I can say is the sooner the better. Prices for these gems have been on the rise for the past 10 years with no signs of it stopping.
Very true. A cheap Charger shell is pretty hard to find now a days. Even the most rusted shell you can find can go for thosands on ebay.

·
Registered
560 Posts
safe bet: '70 duster with a 225 slant6, in good original condition definitely wont break the bank...compared to spending thousands of dollars on an incomplete piece of rust with a 'special' VIN#.

there are plenty of solid examples lying around in wierd places, go to a few swap meets see what you can see.

yeah jfsram, way too late for that...
i talked to a guy at Carlisle a while back with a '69 Roadrunner with original 440 6-pak, he said he bought it in 1982 for some ungodly $850, drove it every day for 14 years, then restored it. NOT FAIR!!!!

·
Mopar or No Car
7,869 Posts
donniesintrepid said:
If you are looking at souping up an old 318 don't bother its only worth it on the Magnum era 318's such as 1990's and up. Get a 383,400, or 440 to build up for it or at least a 340, 360 small block I myself have a 361 2bbl '66 Charger that is my baby. Try to find a unique car. Mopar sure has a lot of old unique vehicles. Good Luck on what you find!!
Donnie
My first car was a '62 Newport with the 361-2 ... Didn't know they still made them in '66. Learn something new every day!

·
Mopar or No Car
7,869 Posts
I'm with WildChild on this one - I disagree with a LOT of what has been said here.

The 318 (1968-1991) is a VERY solid engine and almost "bullet proof". Stock parts are VERY easy to find but the after-market "upgrade" products are a little slim. DO NOT confuse this engine with the pre-'68 "Poly" 318 nor the 1992&up 318 Magnum, the parts are NOT inter-changeable. Parts for the Poly 318 and 273's are not readily available at a decent price.

Stick w/CARS that are pre-1975 - before 1972 is even better. The ONLY factory pollution devices on these cars is the PCV valve from 1972-1974. Easy to work on, easy to modify, and all 100% legal. For legal re-builds, it's the year of the car they look at NOT the year of the engine. Also, the front end suspension on pre-75's is very easy to work with.

If you want to build a "nice" 318 - I recommend buying two books published by HPBooks - "How To Rebuild Small Block Mopar Engines" and "How To Hot Rod Small Block Mopar Engines". Both have lot's of great information. Get these before you buy anything and study them so you'll know what you're looking for.

As far as I know, ANY car from 1968-1974 w/a factory 225 slant-6 is a simple swap for the 318. Everything fits including the transmission interface. The slant-6 cars are usually pretty cheap to buy and so are 318 engines out of a junk yard. You might even look around a little or join a Mopar car club. I bought a 318 engine AND stand for $75 from a club member. Engine was still [email protected] miles on it. Watch out for earlier 318's as some will NOT have an electronic ignition distributor. Elec. Ign. was available in 1972 - but not all 318's had them.

IMO - Start out with the 318 and build it up. That way, you get plenty of experience working on the 'A' engines (small blocks) and it won't cost you much. You'll also build up your tool box with all the right pieces for working on the 'A' engines. In a few years, if you decide on more GO! (and you'll probably have more $$$, too) then buy a 360, soup it up, and drop it in the car - but you will have to modify the car a little for that. The mounting points are a little different and the tranny isn't a perfect fit, either. You will need some new parts in these areas for the swap - but it's nothing major. In the mean-time you'll have an inexpensive running 318 so you can do the body work and interior and enjoy the ride!

EDIT:
MoparFan03 said:

A 1970-75 Scamp (2-door Valiant), Duster (fast-back Valiant), Swinger (2-door Dart), or Demon (fast-back Dart) is a GREAT place to start! Go with the 318 and later on the 360 will fit right in there (with the above mentioned mods). A 383 is really not worth it ... with the weight difference the 360 is a better bet when you decide to swap up. It's also a LOT easier than going to a 'B' engine (big block).

1 - 20 of 70 Posts