DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My headliners shot, it touched my head while i drive and its simple but its one of the most annoying thing, that and i cant see out my back window cauz its hanging down so far.

anyone have an experience and tips?

i would like to use something other than the regular fabric, like suede or vinyl. would the vinyl crack due to heat? i mean i dont think so, because ppl use vinyl for seats and stuff but i dont wanna have to do this for atleast another 20years so i wanna do it right. and suede would be cool cauz if im bored in traffic i can write my name on the ceiling.

from reading online i know to use the heavy duty spray glue, and not whatever the general 3m in a can stuff
thanks
-Chris

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
the general purpose 3m spray is actually very strong from my experience. I had used it for attaching box carpeting (somewhat similar material) to my sub box and also for gluing some cardboard for packaging. I'll trust it for any project I have in the future. I would definitely try it! Make sure you spray enough of it on so it covers the headliner almost completely, and wait at least 10-15 seconds so it starts to tack/dry. What happened to me was it wouldn't grab the materials right away, it has to get sticky first. Let us know how it turns out!!

Also if you plan on directly applying the material to your roof paneling it might look different from a stock headliner because it won't be molded exactly like OEM. Basically meaning its going to follow the contours of the metal. Might give you more headroom though lol.

Josiah

Josiah

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i dropped the headliner and scrapper all that nasty brown "foam" garbage off it and its sitting in my living room cauz i havent found and fabric for it yet. but its cool with just the metal i mean i wouldnt leave it like that, but its nice not having the droopy headliner in the way. and i cant apply the fabric directly to the metal it would drive me insane seeing all those bumps and whatnot from the metal frame. well atleast im one step closer to fixing it.

and since its just the bare metal thats gonna be covered up by my headliner im making everyone who gets ine the car sign my roof so in how ever many years it takes for this one to come down and i hopefully still have the car it would b a neat sight. or it will get crushed into a small cube and no one cares. either way what the hell.

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
buy some kind of insulation foam, not too thick, stick that up with a good industrial adhesive, maybe not necessarily a spray adhesive, maybe an epoxy instead, then apply your fabric of choice to the foam.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
not criticism just curious any particular reason for insulation?
or would it just get crazy cold in the winter, and then insanely hot in the summer w/o some form of insulation?

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
Without insulation, that roof becomes a radiator. I'm not talkin about a lot, maybe 1/2" thick or so. To control the temp a bit better, and to make the carpet go on better. You should dynamat your roof while the liner's off too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts