DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat banner

441 - 457 of 457 Posts

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
318 rockers will definately NOT work with the new heads, I can see that already. I just got my new job so I might have a little money to throw at this. I plan on going junkyard hunting a couple of days this week, maybe I can settle the rocker issue. Hopefully by the end of the week I'll have the loan to fix my car finally, I plan on throwing every discussed mod I can afford at it. at least the ones that go together anyways.

Here's the plan for me:
3.3L block
3.8L rotating assembly (yup, including pistons)
newest old style heads (2000?)
318 roller rockers
2001+ 3.8L cam
318 performance lifters
3.3L Ported lower intake
3.5L Ported upper intake
52mm TBs (for now)

btw, is it just me or do the new rocker arms look a little "bendy"? If anyone can get me a set of the latest style valve covers for cheap, let me know.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Aluminum V6's

Greetings everyone,
I can tell you my block is definitely cast iron, the new 4.0L is a semi-permanent mold cast aluminum block with iron liners though.

Ray

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
Yeah but the new 4.0L has "revised main bearing diameters" which means its either that block and that crank or nothing.

If you want to know why I keep asking about aluminum blocks click this link and examine the chart about half way down the page.
http://www.allpar.com/mopar/38-40.html
Of course now I notice the valve system description is also wrong.

I am 85% sure the 318 rockers will work, obviously I'll be 100% sure before I buy a set. I would probably go with the newer heads since they seem to be much improved but I doubt the intake will clear the hood and I've already put too much effort into the intake I have to not get it working.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I would probably go with the newer heads since they seem to be much improved but I doubt the intake will clear the hood and I've already put too much effort into the intake I have to not get it working.
Thats part of your problem, the 01+ manifolds wont work with the older style intakes, things are slightly different (passage positions etc).

·
Registered
45 Posts
I agree we need to get somebody to see if the 318 rockers will work on an older style head.

I really want a set,it's dissapointing how little performance parts are made for our engines yet all you ever hear about these days are not even so much the chevys and fords but the Freakin rice burners EVO's and ****. We need rollers for the 3.3!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Rocker info

Greetings everyone...
So here is some info on rockers. The shafts between the "old" style and the "new" style are the same diameter of .865". The rocker shaft for a 318 is .850". Anyway, my plan this weekend is to try the "new" rockers on the old shafts and see what the result is. I will keep everyone posted. I will also try to determine which pushrod will need to be used.

Ray

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
Since the 318 uses a smaller diameter shaft, the 318 rockers can be bushed down to the correct diameter for our engine. I'm not really worried about the diameters, its the offset that is giving everyone fits.

...Scratch that, I need to go take a nap...

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
Those will not work on the older engines, the offsets are all wrong. Notice that every other rocker has the same offset, on the older engines all the rockers are the same. You might be able to use one or the other in our application but not both. Even if they did fit they are much narrower than ours and would need spacers on both sides to work correctly and stay put. Unless those have a much better ratio I wouldn't even bother.

·
Registered
268 Posts
id pick the set that has the correct offset, and the newer cam. they cant be that expensive... specially if bought from a yard. but at the moment, im in the middle of fuel system mods on my 3.5.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Main caps from 06 3.8

Hello everyone,
I posted a picture of the main caps from the 06 3.8 block in Home > Misc. Pictures > Whatever. I was surprised the caps were steel.

Ray

·
Registered
1 Posts
So to resurrect a zombie thread, what was the outcome of all this? I just read a million pages with no conclusion, lol

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
So to resurrect a zombie thread, what was the outcome of all this? I just read a million pages with no conclusion, lol
I never could see any difference in the LH intake manifold so I always assumed it was the minivan intake that got revised and it became misinformed LH info. But be ware the injectors changed as well in later years so who knows?

Personally I would say nothing changed.

·
Banned
42 Posts
jy VINE

Well, as promised here's the start of my collection. I dont think I've got them all yet but I seem to have to most common ones. I wont bother with the Intrepid as we have all seen that one. I have found two for the 3.3L cars, two for the 3.3L vans, and one unique to the 3.8L vans.

1992 Dynasty 3.3L, I dont think the dynasty ever got anything different.

1994 Town & Country 3.8L, Same as Dynasty.

2000 Town & Country 3.3L, Looks like previous but taller.

2000 Town & Country 3.8L, Better angle on the added height, makes for smoother curves.

2002 Caravan 3.3L, Totally new design, I'm still not sure if this will bolt in place of the old style intake. This is two pieces bottom is Aluminum, top is Plastic

2002 Caravan 3.8L, Very similar to 3.3L of the same year however top and bottom pieces are Aluminum.

2005 Caravan 3.3L, Looks to be the same as '02 version. Dont have pic of new 3.8L

Be sure to look over ever aspect of the intake your thinking of putting on your car, the last three I posted here will locate the throttle body at the front of the engine, good for ram air, bad for ducting. If you guys can help me in finding good pics of the other intakes or better pics of these I would certainly appreciate it. Most of these pics are from EvilBay.
3.8 on the rack?

441 - 457 of 457 Posts