DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just recently started posting here, and my car audio background is, well, LONG LOL!

We have a 96 Intrepid we just got and its MINT!!!!!!!

I will be using some of the old audio equipment I have from years ago that is in perfect condition.

I have an ol Orion 275 SX to run the highs which will be either A/D/S 320i's or KEF 6 inchers and tweets, or maybe even a set of the ol carbon fibre 5 inchers from orion and a set of 1S's.

The OLD orion subs I have are the 12 inch DVC Extremes with the ferofluid cooled voice coils. they are in good shape as of yet.

The subs will be run off an 2125SX Orion. The amps wil be driven by an ol 300 PRQ. (anyone remember that?!?!??!?!?!?!!!!!) then go to a 200 CRX x-over.

Not sure of the head unit yet, want a new one that does it all as far as cd recordings (mp3, wma etc.)

the enclosure for the subs will be a vented design fired through the rear deck. (lots of modding to the rear deck to keep it stock looking)

Not sure what I am going to do to the front stage yet......... might do fibrglass door panels for "on axis" sound or maybe not. not gunna do kick panal install, I hate those! UGLY!!!! Probably run the door speaks at 100Hz-8 or 9ooHz and run the tweets up in the dash area from around 1KHz on up using 24 dB/octave passives. I love passives! LOTS can be done with them!

Still need to give it all some thought though.

Any ideas from yall ?????????I am open to any new ideas and technologoes, been out of the industry for a while!

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
LOVE IT!!! Gotta run the old stuff!! When did Orion run the Extreme line of subs, thats b4 my time I think?

Seems like you got it all together but the HU. I personally have been using the Panasonic HU's for the last few years. I love how they look and they hold up pretty well to bass. I can get my truck into the mid low 150s b4 it skips it. I was looking w/ my buddy today at Circuit City for a new HU for his Lexus and you can now get all the bells and whistles of MP3/WMA and even an ipod hookup for $200

I haven't really payed attention to HU's though for the past year so someone else should probably know more than me and be able to find you something sweet! How much ya looking to drop on the HU?

·
Registered
692 Posts
boy do i got something for you if u like old school orion....I got a HCCA 2100 compeition series amp sitting right next to me as we speak.

·
Dain bramaged
7,213 Posts
you bastard.. I'd kill for a set of orion xtr dvc's..

assuming they were series 2..

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Old school ??

Not unless it has vacuum tubes...

Damn, that makes me feel old...

·
Registered
209 Posts
gotta love the old school, its the best. Why im running PG ms1000 and ms2250 :icon_smil :icon_smil . Looks good get some pics when its all done.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am looking for a HU 200 bucks or less, panasonic always did make a decent rig, might check into them again, been years......

The Xtreme subs were made from around 92 to 97 give or take a year or so best I remember. Funny thing about them was their power rating. 800 watts. they were really only good for about 4 or 500 watts, even in an enclosure design for maxixmum displacement limited power handling. Rarely saw mechanical failures in them, was almost always burned out voice coils (usually from idiots driving the amps to clipping and beyond)

Now that 2100 HCCA you got thier noledge, thats a real amp! If your smart you will never get rid of it and take very good care of it. Or just give it to me!LOL!!!! I have installed countles 2100 HCCA's and the 2250 sx's....Basically the same amps with a few power supply changes. Loved to run those things at 1 ohm per channel into about 4 subs of the 12-15 inch range. I remember doing a system using 4) XTR 12 SVC in dual reflex bandpass enclosures in a blazer i think it was, they were run off a 2250 SX, Was good for 143 dB, that ws back in about 94 if I remember right, impressive numbers back in that day for that little of equipment....

·
Registered
692 Posts
The Viking said:
Now that 2100 HCCA you got thier noledge, thats a real amp! If your smart you will never get rid of it and take very good care of it. Or just give it to me!LOL!!!! I have installed countles 2100 HCCA's and the 2250 sx's....Basically the same amps with a few power supply changes. Loved to run those things at 1 ohm per channel into about 4 subs of the 12-15 inch range. I remember doing a system using 4) XTR 12 SVC in dual reflex bandpass enclosures in a blazer i think it was, they were run off a 2250 SX, Was good for 143 dB, that ws back in about 94 if I remember right, impressive numbers back in that day for that little of equipment....
yea Im gonna use it to run 2 12in RE audio SX's. I just dont have the place to work on my car living in an apartment

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If ya want some install tips on that amp, let me know noledge, they are very current hungry and just a basic installation with lack of attention to detail will SMOKE those amps..........seen it many times.

we NEVER sold an Orion amp over the counter, always had to be installed by me or another guy that worked their.

therre are several key things to help that amp perform to its potential......

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, started on the engine compartment here a while ago.

Load tested the alternator and was kicking out 68 amps cold at 13.5 volts, very acceptable.

I monted a wafer fuse holder on the engine side of the factory fuse box with some short screws. (checked under neath for wires first!) Then I did a short run of some 4 ga. from the battery to the fuse holder. All connections were impact crimped, soldered then heat shrank an loomed.

Also did a short run of 4 ga, from the neg. side of the battery to a new grounding point on the car body. Scraped away all the paint with a die grinder and wirre wheel, drilled a hole and bolted the new cable to the chassis. then I painted over it with some enamal paint to stop corrision.

Will probably run a peice of 8 ga. from the alternator output to the battery down the road.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts