DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the myths that has been around since I joined here was that using synthetic oil in a high mileage sludgy engine will kill it.This has been proven false.

Another thing I tried was the Super Tech fully synthetic oil at Wal-Mart. Before I used it, I searched the internet and found the MSDS for it. It said that it is really made by Havoline.

After the 4th oil change using it, I have had no engine problems, no catastrophic failure, and no expensive sounds.

I am using this oil in my 2.7 with 152,750 miles on it, and in my Mom's 2.7 Sebring with 48,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
I put this in the Honda VTX i was riding over the summer. Had heard through a VTX forum that this product was made by a quality company. For the price, it's pretty tough to beat. Easy to find too, since there's a Wally-World about every 2 miles. I would think that synthetic in a high mileage 2.7L would be a good idea, especially considering some of the sludge issues those motors are known for.

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
It's hard to say the oil is a good choice simply because you have done 4 changes without a problem, the only true way to get results is by having an oil analysis done

On a side note I do use the same synth from walmart in my lawnmowers and the go kart, of course they are also changed every season and not subject to extreme load situations so oil breakdown isnt really an issue

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's hard to say the oil is a good choice simply because you have done 4 changes without a problem, the only true way to get results is by having an oil analysis done
I see your point. The reason why I made this thread is against the people that use a new kind of oil one time and they accuse it of destroying their engine.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
So u actually found that (at least ur batch) the oil is made by Havoline. I know at some point the MSDS says that the oil is made by exxonmobile. But in any case, it's a quality oil. Definitely a good chioce if you want to go with full synthetic

·
Registered
151 Posts
I tried it on my 2000, (140,000 miles) the timing chain cover cover started leaking badly. Left 1 foot diameter puddles in my driveway by morning. I switched to dino with sludge protection, it stopped. I get 1 drop a night if that, almost nothing now.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
I tried it on my 2000, (140,000 miles) the timing chain cover cover started leaking badly. Left 1 foot diameter puddles in my driveway by morning. I switched to dino with sludge protection, it stopped. I get 1 drop a night if that, almost nothing now.
Wouldn't it be better to solve the leak issue than to run a lesser quality oil? If you're still getting a drip or 2 appearing under the car, you know it's leaking when you're going down the road. Your undercarriage should be well lubed i guess.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts