DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If any remembers what my engine sounded like at the IM, you'll remember it sounded like it had a bad bearing, or something like that. Lately it had gotten a lot worse, and i really thought i would be looking at putting a new engine in the LHS.

Well, today it was due for an oil change, so i did it anyway. Even though i thought the engine was done for. I was listening to the engine run afterwards, and was trying to localize the noise. I knew it was on the right side of the engine, towards the front. Using a stethascope it sounded like it was the drivers side cam, or lower.

I started thinking, it's not immpossible that it's something easier like the alternator or power steering pump. I couldn't get a definite fix on it with the scope, so i decided to pull the serp. belt and stop the accesories and see if it made any difference....

Well, after getting this far in:

I found this:

Yea, the belt is shot... That was it. That was the whole frickin problem. This damn belt...

Installed a new belt and the car sounds like it did the day i bought it. Fantastic. Well, now at least i can stop worrying about having to pay for a new engine...

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
WOW!, You saved ur self some biIiIgggg$$$$$$ dude, any garage could of ripped you off big time as well, if you would of mentioned replacing the engine sooner or later, but Im Glad shes running like new bud!, ;)

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
You know, they don't tell you to change the belt as a part of maintenance just for the hell of it. j/k Glad you got everything good again man, it looks like you got off a little cheaper than you thought too!!!

·
get off my lawn
15,507 Posts
sometimes , the simple stuff makes us think huge bucks,, happy to see everything is ok

·
Banned
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
00r/t.mopar.muscle said:
You know, they don't tell you to change the belt as a part of maintenance just for the hell of it. j/k Glad you got everything good again man, it looks like you got off a little cheaper than you thought too!!!

I spent about $90 today between the oil change, two new belts (may as well change the A/c belt as long as i'm there right?) and a new haynes manual to diagnose a problem with the radiator fan circuit.

Not too bad really.

I brought the car to a firestone shop 2 years ago for a leaky tire, they told me i should have the belts changed then, but i inspected them and found nothing like it was now. Plus they wanted something like $200 to change the belts...

And yea, i know it's a routine maintmence ;) But with the cross member installed i really can't see down that far, let alone get my hand anywhere near the belts. From my visual inspection, it had looked good all this time.

Oh well, now i know for next time :D

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
I know all about the cross member!! From waht I can see in your pics, it looks almost identical to my R/T. How many miles to you have? Your sig says 64k and if it really is that low I'm surprised your belt went. I changed mine around 65k and it ws still in great shape when I got it off. With almost 80k, the timing belt is next. I'm not looking forward to that!!!!

·
Banned
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
00r/t.mopar.muscle said:
I know all about the cross member!! From waht I can see in your pics, it looks almost identical to my R/T. How many miles to you have? Your sig says 64k and if it really is that low I'm surprised your belt went. I changed mine around 65k and it ws still in great shape when I got it off. With almost 80k, the timing belt is next. I'm not looking forward to that!!!!

Sig is a bit behind, it's got just under 68K on it now.... I 'm planning on doing the timing belt next summer myself. I'm really not looking forward to it either. I did it before when i had my 1G, it was heluva a pain in the ass, and there was a bit more room under the hood with that car.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
I just did the timing belt on my car at 103k, really not that difficult at all, can be done in an afternoon over a few beers. Don't forget to replace the tensioners, and the waterpump while you're in there.

·
Registered
663 Posts
It is possible that something got under the belt and between the pully. This would have ripped it apart. So, it could have been caused by a small rock. :Eyecrazy:

I got well over 90k on the belts for mine. Bought the car with 88k so don't think it was me :icon_bigg Timing belt is next.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
00r/t.mopar.muscle said:
im trying to figure out when my serpentine belt went out, but i wanna say it was around 40k. how long did it take you to replace it? when mine went out i spent about 2 hours trying to figure out how the hell the thing came off, i ended up putting it on wrong and had it pop off when i was about an hour away from my house. luckily a friend of mine that i hadnt talked to in about 3 years let me stop by and we got it fixed.

these engines just dont fit in the engine bay, no room to work on anything!

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
I forgot when the manual recommends replacing it but I did mine a little while after I bought it and I bought it with 63k, so somewhere between 65-70k. I read the service manual and finally figured out how to do it. It was a ***** because like you said ther is very little room. I wanna say it took me about 4 or 5 hrs to do the belt and flush the coolant system. That is one thing you'll enjoy about the focus. I changed the serp on my cavalier in about 10 mins with one wrench. Small cars are sooo much easier to work with. On the trep I had to use my flex head ratchet and a 2ft extension from underneath to get the tensioner adjusted. While I was doing it I was complaining about how close to the radiator the front of the engine is. My dad told me that back in the day a friend of his had a camaro with a 427 and the engine was so wedged in that you had to unbolt the motor and jack it up to change the plugs!!

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
I actually started a thread about a month ago regarding a knocking or thumping noise that I was wondering if it could be caused by a bad belt. In my case, I removed the A/C belt to get the tensioner pulley off to replace it. I didn't realize the belt was original and the tensioner was still set on the "new" belt position. After putting it together I started getting this thumping noise at idle and couldn't tell where it was coming from under the hood. I was pretty confident it was from working on the belt and on a hunch I checked the position on the tensioner and figured it out. The "new" setting it too tight on a used belt and once I adjusted it to "used" the noise was almost completely gone. After installing a new belt a few days later it is completely gone. About the only way I can describe it is like a "flub flub" that a clothes washer makes when its unbalanced.

·
Banned
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
01redMS said:
im trying to figure out when my serpentine belt went out, but i wanna say it was around 40k. how long did it take you to replace it? when mine went out i spent about 2 hours trying to figure out how the hell the thing came off, i ended up putting it on wrong and had it pop off when i was about an hour away from my house. luckily a friend of mine that i hadnt talked to in about 3 years let me stop by and we got it fixed.

these engines just dont fit in the engine bay, no room to work on anything!
I was working on the car for a total of about 6 hours, but that was including time to do the oil change, and troubleshoot and locate a bad relay on the radiator circuit. I'd say it was at least 3 hours start to finish for the belt.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Whew!

Glad to hear it was something minor.

As for maintenance/repair on my car:

Unscheduled:
Timing belt at 49K (water pump wasn't being driven properly, dealer should have changed this belt when the pump seized under warranty!!! :eek: )
Radiator flushed at 49K (previous owner used TAPWATER according to my mechanic!)
Input AND output speed sensors at 43K (didn't fix it, but oh well, new sensors)
Transaxle Control Solenoid Pack at 43K (previous owner left the dipstick loose and it got clogged!)

The previous owner was not too nice to my car as you can see. Lucky for me I got it before they could do too much damage to it. Hey, I got it for 3K below book. :D

Scheduled:
Mobil 1 every 3000-4000 miles or 3 months with a Wix, Bosch or Moibil filter. (NO FRAM!)
Tranny flush every 20K-30K depending on odor/color (Lifetime fluid my ass!)
Seafoam every season. Just did it, nice boost in milage. :D
A bottle of RXP and Guaranteed to Pass every 3000 miles with my oil changes. Clean motor = faster car :D

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have to do this very soon so what are some things I need to know as far as steps in doing this job. Should I replace the tensioner pulley? I am replacing the AC belt and serp belt.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
luisa said:
WOW!, You saved ur self some biIiIgggg$$$$$$ dude, any garage could of ripped you off big time as well, if you would of mentioned replacing the engine sooner or later, but Im Glad shes running like new bud!, ;)
Yeah, I'd rather go to a doctor or a dentist than an auto mechanic anyday. I had a shop replace my right driveshaft, but I don't think it really needed replacing. Don't know why places have to try to rip off the consumer instead of just being honest. Really bad when you have to be on guard everytime you take your car in to be worked on. Makes for a somewhat stressful experience. There should be some kind of website that lists auto shops and locations where people can rate them like E-bay.

·
Registered
851 Posts
TREP R/T said:
I have to do this very soon so what are some things I need to know as far as steps in doing this job. Should I replace the tensioner pulley? I am replacing the AC belt and serp belt.
ive heard people suggest it, and your only going to have to do this once.

anyone know how much the tensioner pulley is for a 3.5 ho.?

i need to do my belts soon, i can see some cracks and what to see if it cures this chirping noise im getting from ac compressor. Id like to rule out the belt

·
Registered
96 Posts
cobra65 said:
Yeah, I'd rather go to a doctor or a dentist than an auto mechanic anyday. I had a shop replace my right driveshaft, but I don't think it really needed replacing. Don't know why places have to try to rip off the consumer instead of just being honest. Really bad when you have to be on guard everytime you take your car in to be worked on. Makes for a somewhat stressful experience. There should be some kind of website that lists auto shops and locations where people can rate them like E-bay.

I know what you mean. A few months back, I had all 4 tires changed at a local shop who deals with tires alot. I get a phone call to say its ready to be picked up. He then goes on to say that my rubber insulators are shot inside my struts. They have been like that since the first year I purchased it. I ask him how much to replace the rubber insulators. He says $400. I told him I will be right there to pick up my car. The car syill drives and feels like a brand new car for a 100,000km on it. I basically told the guy to go pound salt.
Now, can you imagine if a woman were in there for this? Thats why I do not send my wife for anything to do with the car. She would of checked with me first anyway. Some are not that smart.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts