DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd hate to say this, but I'm really getting sick of DaimlerChrysler and their so called "5 star" dealerships. With 51k miles, I have to get a new (rebuilt) transmission and there's no way around paying for it. The dealership won't have anything to do with me if I'm not showing any interest in trading it in and the service center basically hung up on me after discussing it for about 15 minutes. Basically, he says the when the warranty expires, it's done. He said that he sees transmissions go out with 250 miles on it, engines going out with just a couple thousand miles on them. If this is the new standard that Chrysler bases all of it's decisions on in terms of helping people, then I really don't want anything to do with them. Apparently they are so use to seeing parts fail so early, that I guess I am lucky to have had my car for this long. With technology getting better, why is the quality getting worse? I have driven nothing but mopars and this is the thanks that I get. With each newer chrysler I drive, the overall quality gets worse. Maybe it's just my bad karma? Maybe I'm one of the very few with this type of problem? Either way, I am sick of it. No offense towards Ottowrkr... I don't know if he deals with the transmissions or not, but I cannot believe that with all the problems these transmissions have, DC just can't get it right. And on top of that, they don't back their customers at all. I tried the DC customer service line and it has had a busy signal for the last hour. I guess I'll just write them a letter since the service tech at the dealership said they won't have anything to do with me anyways since I bought a used car. I guess a chrysler car is no longer a chrysler car after it changes hands more than once. This is just my 2 cents... Hopefully someone has had the same problem as me so I don't feel singled out here. All in all, there is absolutely NO reason for a transmission to go out at 51k miles especially when I have checked the fluid levels constantly with no evidence of trouble and I have not beat on my car like some people do... and I'm sure those that do beat on their cars have better luck than me.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
I would seriously try calling other dealers. The dealer you talked to may have just been a prick. I've dealt with two dealers and so far they have treated me very well. The first dealer I dealt with is when I bought my used 1991 Sundance in 1994 from them. There are always rude people, and there are always great people. Shop around.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I understand your position, but I can understand the dealership's position more. And they have the law on their side. With you not being the original owner, you have no idea how the last owner treated it. How do you know he/she took care of it as well as you do? How do you know he/she didn't pour a quart of brake fluid down the trans tube? That's a little far-fetched, I know, but I just said it to make a point. How many miles were on the car when you bought it? What kind of warranty did the dealer give you when you bought it? Did it cover the powertrain past 51,000 miles? I doubt it. If, on the otherhand, it covered the powertrain to 50,000, you may have a case, but technically, they would still have the contract in their favor.
I'm not saying the whole situation doesn't suck, it does. Your best option in either case, sadly, is to trade the car in. That way you get a brand new car with a brand new warranty, and you will have the piece of mind of knowing it's been treated well from day one. The cost of replacing a transmission these days is rediculous, and you'd just get a rebuilt trans anyway. Rebuilts are rarely as reliable as brand new. You never know what the quality control is like where your trans is rebuilt. As far as things breaking within the first few thousand miles, that happens with every manufacturer (even japanese cars). Consumer reports rated Lexus and Saturn as the two companies that had the least major warranty issues in the first year per 1,000 cars (or something like that) a few years ago when I had my Saturn. Nonetheless, I had an issue with the A/C compressor that they could never resolve. The Saturn I had before that one, however, was flawless. Hopefully you'll have better luck with your next car, be it a D/C product, or otherwise.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got the car with 29k and put 22k on it so far. I totally understand the dealerships point of view, but it just seems like quality these days is just diminishing. Basically I just had to vent off some frustration because I just can't afford ~$3k. I called another dealership, whose the manager was a more down to earth. He explained to me the options that I have, one of which was trading it in. But with the amount that I owe on the car versus the NADA trade in value, trading it in is not very realistic. I've considered it, but I will have to think about it a little more when it's confirmed that I'll need a rebuilt tranny. It's likey that I will need one, but cannot be verified until the transmission shop looks it over. If I do trade it in, I might get an ES with the 3.2 so I can enjoy a little bit more power. I would have to do all my mods over again (except for the tail-lights since I will keep those and switch them with the traded car)

I also finally got through to the DC customer service line and they documented my problem in case it becomes a recall and also documented my complaint towards the service of the "5 star" dealership.

[ July 18, 2001: Message edited by: Bart ]

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
speaking of 5 star dealers, I don't know about where ya'll are, but down here, it seems every dealer is a 5 star. at least all that i know of are.

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
**** like this really makes me say... oh yeah better get that service contract at the 11th month of ownership.

Its almost a no-brainer not to get it... since you can transfer it to a new owner if you sell your car (great selling point)...

Or you can sell the unused part back to DC if you ever trade it in to a dealer.

I think a 6yr 75k plan was around $950 last time i checked at this one dealer. Not bad.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
from what i understand Geico has it thru thier policies, they were pitching it to me, but i blew it off, they picthed it again to my wife, she listened and it may be worth looking into. I dont have details, but my car does qualify for it. but it is bumper to bumper 7 years. other than that i'm clueless till i find out more details.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
I bought the 6 year 75k miles on mine. I have a $50 deductable and 24 hour nationwide road-side assistance. I paid $1200 for it.

Helps me sleep better at night :)

Unfortunatly, gonna hit 75K in less than 10k miles :(

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know this is cheating, and I doubt it will work, but what if I buy a warranty for $1k, wait a little while, then drive my partially drivable car over to a dealership and get it fixed under warranty?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well, nevermind that... I have to get a service contract before my original warranty goes out, and that was 15k miles ago. Are there any service contracts available after the original warranty has expired?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I thought I'd give you guys a perspective that you might not see. I, like Ottowrkr, work for Daimler Chrysler (heavy trucks) and a lot of our parts come pre-assembled by a supplier. A big problem is the dependance on the employees of the supplier to do quality work. Another problem is the lack of suppliers to choose from. Sometimes you're stuck with one supplier so you just can't switch if you don't like their quality.

I'm not sure if the DC plant builds the trannys from the ground up or not and I can certainly understand Bart's frustration. It seems like it's been a DC problem for years. You would think they would have solved it by now.

Any inside scoop Ottowrkr?

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Well we don't build the trans at our plant ,but another DC plant in Indiana does. Rob998ES is correct when he says DC buys most parts from outside suppliers and we the guys at the factory just install them. So the quality of the car depends on a quality parts supplier. Bart I know the feeling when your car breaks, it sucks . But you also have to remember we build close to 300 000 cars a year ,and they are mechanical things . They break ,some sooner than others but in time all things wear out.It does not matter if you build cars or bicycles you are bound to have problems with a certain percentage of them when you are building them at this high volume.Nobody builds a perfect product ,nobody. 2KWK4U had a good point , you bought the car with 29 000 miles on it . The previous owner may have abused it and changing the oil a 1000 times when you got it would make no difference.Did you know the previous owner? I have friends who get company leased vehicles from there work ,and they destroy them only to give them back to the dealer after 3 years when the lease is up and then be sold to unsuspecting buyers. Then the new owner blames the manufacture for a poor quality car when in fact the previous owner was at fault. That being said , one of our biggest problems are the dealers willingness to help .They cant see past today. Sure you may just be out of warranty but try and help the customer .If they helped more the next time you were in the market for a new car what the dealer did to help you would make you think of DC first. Look at Saturn , the car is nothing special(IMO)but the dealers go out of the way to keep people happy. That sells cars. You could have the ugliest car on the market but if your dealer network makes customers smile ,you will see cars . So what is a customer to do ? Complain ,complain complain , write letters to the dealer owner, DC even consumer advocates and newspapers . The squeaky wheel get the grease . Good luck

·
Registered
145 Posts
you can do the following...See when I financed through my bank they sold me a extended warranty. It's usually cheaper than a dealer. Bumper to Bumper ,roadside assistance, rental for 48kmiles or 4 years for about $1000 (since it was used)
"Sell you car" to a close family member,(do the refund thing) and purchase the extended warranty banks usually offer. It might be somewhat of a hassle, but hey $1000 plus 50 deductible beats 3k.
My 2 cents :cool:
p.s. may not be applicable to all states.

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
I could probably get a really good deal with the extended warranty through Geico... but I am a little shady about any third party service contract. You never know when a problem may arrise and everyone wants to "pass the buck". If i am going to buy a service contract, I want to be able to point the finger at one party and nobody else.

Besides $990 for 6/yr 75k miles is not bad at all. If I was to buy this at the 11th month of ownership (same price from the day u get the car till under 12 months) I would have coverage from now till April 2008. I only average about 8k miles a year tops so i shouldnt hit the mileage.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I had an extended warranty but the dealership screwed me over so much that I had it refunded. I had no proof of a service contract and not only was it expensive to begin with ($2100), but he bumped it up to $3500 behind my back. I believe that's called "bushing" or something. Once I mentioned that, they refunded it right away. Because of things like this, I was never a real fan of service contracts.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I have to stick in for Chrysler here, they did make me happy once..

My A/c Went out at about 85K, i was quoted $1600 :eek: from the dealer for a new condensor and evaporator. Not being very happy on still having to pay 2 years on a car with no A/c I called the (still just chrysler at the time) customer service number. They ended up paying for the entire evaporator job (including labor) but I still had to pay about $600 for the condensor.

I later found out that there was a extended warranty on the evaporator to 70K. Being the second owner, and about 15K over the "extended" warranty, Chrysler didnt have to do ANYTHING but they did anyway...

So see they arent all bad :D

·
Registered
118 Posts
My 2000 R/T 6yr/75,000 came in at $1050. I bought it with the car since I could include it in the 0% finance deal. Adds $17.50 to my car payment. $50 deductible and includes roadside assistance. :)

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
my trep has the 6 year 75k plan but so far that has been nothing but bogus. as it was told to us they said if the car was at the dealer overnight for scheduled maint. then they'd give a loaner. no dice. when my water pump went out they said it wasn't covered. a $1500 worthless piece of paper. luckily my car is reliable so i don't worry too much anyway but it's the principle of the thing.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts