DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found out something interesting about keys today.

I bought my car a little over a year ago and only received a valet key. I called the dealer to see if I could get another key. Thinking they would need my VIN or lock cylinders to make a match. I was told as long as I have the original key they can make a real one. The only difference between the keys are the width. I thought that was interesting and that I'd pass it on. Im 99% sure it only applies to the keys without a chip tho.

Was also quoted $7-8 for a new one.

·
Garfield Rules
9,144 Posts
They should be able to use the VIN to cut you a key providing that the locks have never been changed but since since you have the valet key I'm sure they haven't. If they say they can't tell them to *&^% off and find anougher dealer. And $7-8 sounds kinda high since I got a new key frome the dealer and it only cost me $5.00.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Doesn't matter whether it has a chip or not. Just a lot more expensive. ($14 for a basic, $65 for one with a chip when I had mine done) Of course my car would have the full security system dealio DX That key was my timing belt and water pump...

·
Registered
753 Posts
key cutting

one need to be leary about the dealerships here.

I had a Taurus with the chip in the key, one dealership wanted $27 for the key plus an hour of tech time to program it, and a week to make an appointment.

Another dealer sold me the key told me how to do it myself... five seconds :icon_neut

·
Registered
347 Posts
Someone broke into my car & stole my speakers & amp. In the process, they broke my trunk lock. Can the dealership replace my trunk lock and my key will fit the new lock?

·
Registered
532 Posts
How do you program the key chip yourself?
I wonder if you can do that for any car?

My car came w/ 1 regular key and 1 valet key. I keep the valet in the glove box. When I take the car in for service I give them the valet. That way they can’t get into the locked glove box or the trunk.

-GB49

·
Garfield Rules
9,144 Posts
First Gen. LH's never came with chips as far as I know. I know when I cut the plastic off my factury key there was no chip in there.

·
Registered
699 Posts
dafella said:
Someone broke into my car & stole my speakers & amp. In the process, they broke my trunk lock. Can the dealership replace my trunk lock and my key will fit the new lock?
same thing here mine is torn apart, the key still fits in but it wont turn and the trunk release wont work anymore, any info on fixing this and getting a key to match the lock would be awesome

1 - 10 of 10 Posts