DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
question for 1 or all. i recently had a fender bender. i was driving on a very narrow one way alley bumped right side of car into another car. not much body damage but, top of rim/tire is toed(towed :whatever) in. wont drive straight, when i tried to move that tire would skid. went to a crack head mechanic says its a bent strut. im thinking more on the lines of tie rod, maybe control arm. please help me.
Also how hard would it be for average joe to fix ??

·
Registered
56 Posts
i had something like this happen to me a while back. i didnt have my trepid back then. wet road plus oil make road slippy, i rammed to a right side of a on ramp with my passenger front wheel making contact with the wall. with a cracked rim and something messed up in the suspension, I DROVE HOME, actually more like limp home, same as you describe it sqeuk alot on turns. It braked ok for me. but anyway, look under there and if you cant see any visable damage like bent toe, wheel, spindel, ball joint broken. then the crackhead mechanic might be right. cuz i had to replace the strut on my ride. i ended up putting new struts, springs, boots, mounts on both sides. My old '91 plymouth acclaim needed it.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Depending on the type of accident a bent strut isn't impossible.

I've learned is sometimes hard to determine what part is bent by just looking at it.

I got into an accident at one point - and they managed to get my alignment back into spec - but it's still likely that I damaged/bent the strut or the steering knuckle.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
finally, yes it was a bent strut. the mechanic also said the spindle needed replaced. i ( think) maybe he says i needed new spindle was..... it is some what easier for him to replace with the spindle on strut. Am i correct in THINKING this??? quote on alignment 1 says 90.00 - 2nd, a friend of a friend who knows a friends sisters cousin got me a quote for 50.00. what do ya think??

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
Get your alignment done at a shop with good equipment, and with lots of experience aligning cars. If it's crooked, they have to fix it.

Otherwise, it's tire eating time!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i was thinking the same thing. sometime there comes a time when quality is much better then (saving) quenity (whatever). i picked car up without the alignment( cuz i want to go somewhere with better technology... surprised enough that the car did not pull nor shimmy. well im off for alignment this weekend.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts