DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone use open source software much? (FYI Open source is FREE software made by, and constantly improved by, hundreds/thousands of people on the net... the "code" is freely available to modify)

This CD has a very good collection of software and is constantly updated. Most of this software performs better than the expensive stuff made by big companies. (click the download button for the free .iso... the purchase option is for an actual cd sent with documentation, ect.)

The Open CD (Homepage)

Also a neat feature is the fact that if you leave the CD in the drive and boot the computer, an Open source OS called UBUNTU (Linux based) will load up. Your computer wil NOT be changed at all! The CD loads the os which configures itself to run off the cd. Simply remove the disk and reboot and your back to normal. It's a good way for people to get a (limited) taste of the world outside windows!

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
I use Open Office exclusively. When I tell my friends, who all use Microsoft, they look at me like I'm from outer space. They don't understand the concept of FREE I guess.

Thanks for the tip on the other open source software. I'll give it a try.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
BowTieGuy said:
I use Open Office exclusively. When I tell my friends, who all use Microsoft, they look at me like I'm from outer space. They don't understand the concept of FREE I guess.

Thanks for the tip on the other open source software. I'll give it a try.
since when was windows not free? and i been using ubuntu for over a year now, it is sweet, its just that i dont realy care about open source programs all too much, i know that it is odd coming from a programmer, but in general i just dont ever feel like using it, but i will download it anyway

*EDIT* started downloading it via torrent, its kinda slower than usual (about 110 kbs), so i started looking what programs were involved in it during the wait, then i realized that i use most thos programs in linux and a couple in windows and actually own or owned them before, its a sweet disc but i already have it, in a way

1 - 3 of 3 Posts