DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i work for a car rental agency and i have the ability to buy one of our intrepid es's soon. chances are it will be near 28,000 miles as a 2001 which i will get for around $18,000 with tax. what do you all think of an 01 es for this price and what do you think of ex rentals? thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Price seems good, but I wouldn't recommend a rental vehicle just for the sole purpose that is has been abused by many people. In getting a used car, I feel more comfortable when I know there has only been one owner and hopefully they have well maintaind it.

I just don't like the idea of many others just beating on it cause it was only in there possesion for a few days. Unless you know that the vehicle in in excellent running condition, I would not suggest buying it.

If you do, most definately take it to a repair shop and have everything inspected and fixed under the warrenty. Just my dime's worth. Good luck!

·
Banned
3,574 Posts
I have to disagree with what you said Candyman.

If it is a nation chain rental agency, such as Enterprise or Budget, buying a used car from them is a pretty sound thing to do.

If something goes wrong with a rental car, it is fixed as soon as it does. I know this from experience. My father rented a car to come see me here in Minnesota. (He is from Alberta, Canada.) When he got here, the lever for the tilt colum wouldn't work, so he phoned an agency here and they told him to bring it in. When he did, they had it ticketed for repair, and gave him a new car for his trouble.

Beside having problems fixed as they arise, rental cars have all warranty and recall work performed, plus you get an excellent and extensive maintenance history. Just make sure you ask for it when you buy the car.

In my opinion, buying a used rental car is better than buying from a dealer or a private party.

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
You may be able to get a new one for close to your price for a used one. Currently 2500 rebate (there is also a 500 internet rebate as well - check out dodge's web site) and you should be able to get a 1200 discount (maybe more - end of month - end of model year) which could get you pretty close to your number.

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
I agree with moparman....

You should be able to get a new one for close to your price. You can no doubt get an SE for that price. Nothing like driving a new car out of the lot. :)

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Plus on a new one, you'll get a much better interest rate then on a used one

At the end of the day...it won't cost much more to buy a new one. (If your'e buying an SE, it'll actually be cheaper!) My new SE back in '99 cost me around 18K after rebates.

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
Right now there is a 2500 rebate on Intrepids
as well as a 500 internet rebate (4adodge website). End of month and model year; August sales expected to be off 15-20% from last year; you should be able to get 1500 - 2000 discount. The dealer will be working mostly on his holdback and any incentive from Chrysler and any money of course on the trade.
Last Saturday I purchased a new 2001 R/T Motorsport edition in silver which the msrp was 27,755. I got 3000 in rebates and a 2300 discount for a purchase price of 22,255. Got 400 over book on my trade; a 98 Intrepid base
w/ power seat & 16 inch wheels. Finance was 6.1% over 3 years. A great deal. This is actually one of the best times in years to buy a new car; especially American. The dealer I did business with has several 2001 Intrepids and is ready to move them.
Good Luck !!!

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
wish i had a spare 21 grand and an explanation to my parents...

·
Registered
14 Posts
u can get a good from your chrysler/dodge dealer sense they are tring to make room for the 2002 models. 18000 for a car with that much miles may not be goo in the long run :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
I purchased my Base '99 for $17,000 (program, Enterprise rental) after adding interest and all that other sh*t what I'll be paying for my car, after 6 years, is about $28,000. Looking back on that mistake, at that time they were offering R/T's for 0% interest for $28,000. You do the math!!!!!!!!!! I F'ed that one up.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I just bought a brand new 2001 ES with Sun Roof, 3.2 engine, full size spare and CD player... the sticker was $25,530 and we paid $20,500... so if you ask me 18,000 is too high I would find the extra 2,500 and get a new one.

BTW we visited three dealers two of which were willing to take 5K off the sticker... I believe 2K was a manufacturer rebate. You will also save on financing... can you tell I would never buy a used car? Especially a former rental... beat like a rented mule :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts