DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife has a '99 Intrepid ES with the Infinity sound system. The small speaker in the pod by the rear view mirror needs to be replaced. Besides the dealer, what are my options for an aftermarket speaker for this location. I believe it is a 2.5" coaxial speaker. I measured the mounting depth and it is 1.5". I couldn't find a replacement on Infinity's website.

Steve

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
Your only real option is an OEM replacement. Though you could probably get one from a junkyard much cheaper than from the dealer. Take a look in the buy/sell/trade forum, a lot of people have upgraded their system and there are several guys that make regular trips to the junkyards for parts. Torontofirecaptain and loud98es often times have some sitting around...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Or you could get some components and replace the door and the pod speaker.The tweet will be smaller but sound just as good.But that is my opinion and you know what they say about opinions.

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
spdfrk50 said:
Or you could get some components and replace the door and the pod speaker.The tweet will be smaller but sound just as good.But that is my opinion and you know what they say about opinions.
Wrong. You can't just replace the fronts like that. The sail speaker is NOT a tweeter, it's actually a 2-way coaxial that handles all but the midbass range of frequencies (there is little to no vocal content in the lower door speakers). Replacing that with a simple tweeter will result in catastrophic failure of the tweeter as it will have to play well below the rated response range. Also, you can't simply replace the front speakers with a component set and use the OEM amp. The OEM amp has the crossovers built-in thus there is no full range front output to feed into the aftermarket crossovers. You would have to bypass the OEM amp to the front and use the amp built into the HU, which is very small and won't power a set of components worth crap.

Long story short, as I said before, you're best off with an OEM replacement...

·
Registered
57 Posts
dbaudiopro said:
Wrong. You can't just replace the fronts like that. The sail speaker is NOT a tweeter, it's actually a 2-way coaxial that handles all but the midbass range of frequencies (there is little to no vocal content in the lower door speakers). Replacing that with a simple tweeter will result in catastrophic failure of the tweeter as it will have to play well below the rated response range. Also, you can't simply replace the front speakers with a component set and use the OEM amp. The OEM amp has the crossovers built-in thus there is no full range front output to feed into the aftermarket crossovers. You would have to bypass the OEM amp to the front and use the amp built into the HU, which is very small and won't power a set of components worth crap.

Long story short, as I said before, you're best off with an OEM replacement...
You are absolutely right.My bad,I replaced mine with components..And also replaced the amp.Much apoligizes. :fun_84:

·
Registered
11 Posts
so let me see if i undertstand this correctly, now i cant replace my OEM mid-range speakers with 6.5's(assuming i got the correct brackets) becouse my stock sterio/amp wont power them? or are you guys only talking about the tweeter in the corner?

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
The Chrysler/Infinity speakers run at 2 ohms. This is pretty unique to the Inifinity/Chrysler gear.

Most of what you find in the shops is 4 and 8 ohm stuff.

Plenty of Q&A available on this up in the audio forum.

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
[QUOTE='98-ESer]The Chrysler/Infinity speakers run at 2 ohms. This is pretty unique to the Inifinity/Chrysler gear.[/QUOTE]Actually this is quite common far beyond Chrysler and Infinity. Bose, Visteon, Delphi, most everyone doing "high end" OEM systems use low impedence drivers. In fact Bose uses 1 and 1/2ohm drivers in many of their systems. It's done so they don't have to design DC/DC converters (voltage pump, whatever you want to call it) to boost the backend amplifier voltage. By simply dropping the impedence you can get more power out of the standard 12-14v electrical system at the cost of higher current draw...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts