DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyway, I ended up posting this in the whatever forum by accident, so I'll move it here.

I just got a G4 powerbook yesterday, used though.
It has the 1.33ghz processor, 256mb ram, 60gb hdd, airport, bluetooth. 12" screen. i think it was the base pb of it's time. I have tiger on it and am wondering if you guys knew any cool apps etc. I should pick up for this thing, or any thing I should read up on to further enhance my apple experience.

So far, I'm fairly lost on osx. Starting to get used to thinking like a real person rather than a windows user, but I'm definately feeling the 256 ram. I'll probably pick up another 512 sooner rather than later along with ilife, which I really want to try out.

I thought tiger came with ilife, but I thought wrong :'(. The only thing I've gotten so far is clutter
and also firefox, since safari seemed slow and I didn't bother to see if it had tabbed browsing. Minimizing windows is kind've a pain on osx ;\. And lots of apps, eventhough I hit the x don't exit. I have to go file and then quick eh. At least I found out that ctrl c and v are changed to the apple button though, I was going to have a heart attack.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Use Apple-Q to quite apps. Apple key is the command key on the Mac keyboard. Apple-W closes windows, but leaves the program running. You can tell what applications are running by looking in the dock to see if they have a black mark under them.

iLife is good, for iDVD, iMovie, GarageBand, and others. iWork is nice for Keynote and Pages (Keynote is like Powerpoint, but much better, and Pages or AppleWorks are the Apple versions of Word). If you're a student, you can get a good discount on most Apple products, so be sure not to pay full price. ;) Also, check out http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/ for lots of good freeware/widgets.

"Minimizing windows is kind've a pain on osx " what do you mean by that?? I think this is one of the coolest things on OS X! How are you doing it? Just double click the top bar of any open window, and bam, it goes to the dock. Or, you can use Apple-M (or the middle "-" button at the left hand end of the window).

Any other specific questions??

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok. i'll throw a specific one at you. I don't really have any though, since I don't have any programs on here :p. I'm trying to use dashboard on this thing, but it doesn't seem really useful. What is it for? I have the weather and stuff on there... is it more or less a quick access screen to a calc/date/time in some other place/weather/sports scores? I dont' know, I guess I don't find it all that useful when I have forcastfox running on firefox and the date and time are on the top right anyway.

But yah I'm waiting for an auction on ebay for ilife. Theres no way I'm paying retail :p. But dayum ram is expensive, unfortunately my 12"er only has one slot so I might revert to just picking up a 512 mb stick rather than a 1gb one :(. I just have to start playing around with this. I'll get some more questions when they pop up. Just really looking for something to do ahaha.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Go to Sys Pref>Dashboard & Exposé and activate a hot corner for Dashboard, that way you don't have to go to the dock everytime.

Dashboard is a fast, easy way to get info or do common tasks without using a big application. If you look on the Apple Widget dwnload page, yoou will see tons of awesome ones.

Exposé is a windows managment system. Press F19 to see all open windows, press F10 to see all open windows in the seclected application, and F11 to clear your screen and see the desktop. Once you get use to this, using a PC will be hell. ;)

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
haha wow. Thanks for that tip. I guess it's all about keyboard shoutcuts eh? I'll have to find a list of some more useful ones.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
monkey-boy said:
haha wow. Thanks for that tip. I guess it's all about keyboard shoutcuts eh? I'll have to find a list of some more useful ones.

Yea, mac is very into shortcuts. If you havent noticed yet, hit f9 or f11 for some fun visual effects. f10 is ok too. Also, try going to sourceforge.com and searching for virtue. Its a program that allows you to create 100s of desktops that you can scroll through using custom effects. Its really nice. Plus, since its from sourceforge, its completely 100% free.

-Brandon

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Oh, and another thing I did when I first switched to mac (about 4 months ago) was go to apple.com and go to their downloads. They have all sorts of game and program demo's that are quite fun.

-Brandon

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I've been looking at a few. I've never been one to download shareware/demo's though ;\ Just hate cluttering up my computer. Another thing. Everytime I download freeware it saves onto my desktop. Where are the install files? Are they all just in that folder? If I move it to the applications folder will I mess anything up? Is there any place other than the finder to access all my apps, (start menu here :p)

But maaan am I ever wishing I had a bigger screen. With XP there wasn't really anything to appreciate, on this there's so many tight screen switches (yes f9, f10, f11 are pretty fun :p) and visual effects that I wish I had a bigger monitor. Time to pick up the cinema display I suppose... :p Ah well, I'm going to give virtue a shot, looks like a neat program which'll help me with my 12" woes.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
monkey-boy said:
So far, I'm fairly lost on osx. Starting to get used to thinking like a real person rather than a windows user, but I'm definately feeling the 256 ram. I'll probably pick up another 512 sooner rather than later along with ilife, which I really want to try out.[/QUOTE

256 is definately not recommended. Even mac magazines say get at least 512, so be sure to pick some up when you can!

I have found Firefox for mac to be horrible. Its so slow and it locks up so you cant use the keyboard at random times. Especially when your opening it up. Safari does have tabbed browsing, there is also camino which is fast and nice, but when you type stuff into forums it has a huge delay thats quite annoying.

Minimizing windows is kind've a pain on osx ;\. And lots of apps, eventhough I hit the x don't exit. I have to go file and then quick eh. At least I found out that ctrl c and v are changed to the apple button though, I was going to have a heart attack.
You shouldn't have to minimize windows very often, just hit f9 and they all shrink so you can pick which one you want. Also, ctrl click or right click on the icon in the dock to close apps.

-Brandon

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
monkey-boy said:
Yeah I've been looking at a few. I've never been one to download shareware/demo's though ;\ Just hate cluttering up my computer.
Yeah, I hate cluttering my computer too, but I have everything down in their own folders now.

Another thing. Everytime I download freeware it saves onto my desktop. Where are the install files? Are they all just in that folder? If I move it to the applications folder will I mess anything up? Is there any place other than the finder to access all my apps, (start menu here :p)
There are no real "Install files" you just download, and click and drag the icon into your apps folder, which installs it. Then you can use it, or drag the icon into your doc and it will stay there as well.

But maaan am I ever wishing I had a bigger screen. With XP there wasn't really anything to appreciate, on this there's so many tight screen switches (yes f9, f10, f11 are pretty fun :p) and visual effects that I wish I had a bigger monitor. Time to pick up the cinema display I suppose... :p Ah well, I'm going to give virtue a shot, looks like a neat program which'll help me with my 12" woes.
Yeah, I love my 12" screen. My iBook is only like 3 pounds I believe, so its nice and easy to carry to school. Another sweet program is Quicksilver.

http://quicksilver.blacktree.com/

which allows you to just hit "ctrl" and it will bring up a box that you can use to search your hard drive, or you can alter its options to allow you to search any website, or google, or control any app on your computer. Its a great all around tool.

-Brandon

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Also, try voice chess. Its a normal chess game, except you can use the built in mic to tell all your peices to move. Its priceless. You can also control just about every program and file on your computer with your voice.

-Brandon

·
Registered
575 Posts
Here's a list of keyboard shortcuts, http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=75459 .

On Macs, there isn't any install files to clutter up your computer (after you drag and drop the application into your applications folder, you can eject the driver - the white CD drive looking thing - or, if it wasn't a drive type install, just trash the .dmg file and folder on your desktop). Like Astrogiblet said, just drag the icon over to your Application folder located in your home directory (when you click "Hard Drive" on the desktop, it brings you to your "Finder," from which you can get to all your files). Also, the desktop on Macs really just a working space. Unlike PC's in which you get to things from your desktop. Right now, as I post this, I have two things on my desktop; my Hard Drive icon and a CD which is in the drive. All my apps I use a lot are in the dock, or assigned to hotkeys. The only time files are on my desktop is when they are being used or just downloaded or whatever. If it helps, make a folder on the desktop "To be filed" and place all your junk in there until you have time to place it in its correct home (music files in the music folder, pictures in the pictures folder, etc...). I do this and everynight or whenever it gets cluttered, I just take a few minutes to organize everything. Take advantage of OS X's wonderful file magangment system, and as long as you keep up with your files, life will be oh so good.

There's so many other things I do that's second nature after useing Macs for over 15 years. Lots of these are little things you won't pick up right away, but after a while using Tiger, you will begin to learn. Little things like ejecting a CD often confuzzle switchers, but don't fear, you will get better at it. ;)

·
Registered
575 Posts
Astrogiblet said:
...You shouldn't have to minimize windows very often, just hit f9 and they all shrink so you can pick which one you want. Also, ctrl click or right click on the icon in the dock to close apps....
Yep, this is Exposé which I posted about. Very awesome feature which was new in Panther.

A few other things to note, which might scare you.

• "Close" is not "quit"
• To eject a CD, DVD, iPod, or other external media, just drag it to the trash. Don't worry, this doesn't trash it. You will see the trash turns into an eject icon.
• If you drag an icon off the dock (if the application is running, you can't), it goes "poof!" Don't worry, it's not gone! You can re-ad the application (or any app for that matter) by going to the applications folder, and draging the icon down to the dock. You can now get to any app from here.
• You can hide the dock. If you want it to only be there when you need it, go to Sys Pref>Dock>Check Auto hide/show the Dock. Now, it will go out of your sight until you want it, giving you less clutter and more desktop space. To get it to appear, just move your cursor to the lower edge of the screen and it will rise up.

I have more, but try that stuff for now.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
E8502 said:
Yep, this is Exposé which I posted about. Very awesome feature which was new in Panther.

A few other things to note, which might scare you.

• "Close" is not "quit"
• To eject a CD, DVD, iPod, or other external media, just drag it to the trash. Don't worry, this doesn't trash it. You will see the trash turns into an eject icon.
• If you drag an icon off the dock (if the application is running, you can't), it goes "poof!" Don't worry, it's not gone! You can re-ad the application (or any app for that matter) by going to the applications folder, and draging the icon down to the dock. You can now get to any app from here.
• You can hide the dock. If you want it to only be there when you need it, go to Sys Pref>Dock>Check Auto hide/show the Dock. Now, it will go out of your sight until you want it, giving you less clutter and more desktop space. To get it to appear, just move your cursor to the lower edge of the screen and it will rise up.

I have more, but try that stuff for now.
I knew all that. :)

-Brandon

·
Registered
575 Posts
Buy it as a "student." Wink wink nod nod. Only $69 that way. ;)

My I ask what you are running as far as specs on your current Mac?

My other post was for Monkey...

·
Registered
575 Posts
Monkey, do you have an AIM or AOL screen name?? If so, I can help you over that later tonight.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
E8502 said:
Buy it as a "student." Wink wink nod nod. Only $69 that way. ;)

My I ask what you are running as far as specs on your current Mac?
Yeah, my mom is a teacher so I get her discount! I have an iBook with a 1.2GHz G4, with 768MB Ram, and 60gig hard drive, and Airport..

My other post was for Monkey...
I figured that, but just wanted to make sure :)

-Brandon

1 - 20 of 62 Posts