DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know any good ones? I just got my powerbook yesterday and I'm soooo lost. AND I WANT TO GET INTO DINET CHAT YAY.

Oh yeah and if you have any other tips/tricks etc. or know any good sites for a nub osx user that would be cool. I have a pb 1.33 ghz with a (blah) 256mb ram, 60gigger hdd, bluetooth, airport and a 12" screen.

Pretty cool stuff, and I got tiger too. Mouahahaha. maybe p3 will help if he's still here. But first is first, which mac irc client is the best? thanks.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
eh. i thought it was the computer forum.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
alright. be on in a bit ***. then you can help me.

·
Registered
575 Posts
http://www.ircle.com/ has some good stuff.

How do you like Tiger?? I've been running Tiger on all three of my Macs (20" iMac, 17" iMac, and my wife's 17" PowerBook) since the developer seeds.

Oh, also, if you need any Mac related help, feel free to PM me or start a new thread in the Computer section.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I need lots of help :D. I thought that tiger would come with ilife, but it doesn't. That was the biggest thing I wanted to play around with. iphoto and editing some video then maybe trying out garageband :eek:. I'll have to pick that up later along with another stick of ram :p But so far, I'm really confused. I think I have to switch the way I think about using this thing. After being brainwashed by microsoft for so long, I have to change the way I think from being a windows user, to being a human person. This is definately something I could get used to though, after constant worries of spyware/virus's etc. I have some peace of mind here. Hell, the first thing I install after i reformat the pc is zone alarm and avg (saved on a cd since as soon as I connect to the internet my computer gets bombarded by virus's) This thing doesn't even have any protection yet... :eek:. I'll look for a free virus scanner later though.

whats definately nice is how everything is integrated without having to run a bunch of 3rd party apps. From my Ipod mini to wanting a unit with bluetooth so that I could hook up my SE T610, everything ran smoothly. The build quality of the powerbook is top notch, but I can't say it's exceptionally better than my last laptop, but then again it was an IBM T41 :D Using this thing, although slow (because of the ram) is just alot more laid back and nice. With the IBM I'm rushing to get my stuff done asap so I don't have to use the bloody program anymore.

So, for now the experience is average. I'm sure I'll enjoy it more once I get used to osx more.

One of the coolest freeapps I've got so far is clutter. Search for it. It's tight. It takes your music from itunes and does a search through amazon.com for a cd cover. You can take your cover and put it on the desktop. It's art at it's best :p Check it out though, it's pretty cool.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
I miss my iMac. I'm on an AMD64 box right now. I was thinking of picking up one of those Mini Mac's and just use this POS for gaming. 10.2 was the last version I used. Has much changed in the latest builds?

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
oh snap. I thought you'd definately upgrade to another mac after you hearlded the imac for so long. I was thinking of picking up the mini, but I picked this up for $1000. With a mac mini It would have cost me about $600 with no wireless or bluetooth, worse vid card and smaller hard drive plus tax and then I'd have to pick up a screen too. I have my mx1000 kicking around so I'm using this as a mouse. Oh yeah, remember I'm canadian.

Whats annoying is minimizing these damn screens. I usually have like 5 or 6 browsers open at a time.. but I ended up downloading firefox because safari seemed slow and I wanted tabbed browsers (hell I didn't even look to see if safari has tabbed browsers)

oh yeah and how come ctrl c and ctrl v dont work :p

·
Registered
423 Posts
monkey-boy said:
oh snap. I thought you'd definately upgrade to another mac after you hearlded the imac for so long. I was thinking of picking up the mini, but I picked this up for $1000. With a mac mini It would have cost me about $600 with no wireless or bluetooth, worse vid card and smaller hard drive plus tax and then I'd have to pick up a screen too. I have my mx1000 kicking around so I'm using this as a mouse. Oh yeah, remember I'm canadian.

Whats annoying is minimizing these damn screens. I usually have like 5 or 6 browsers open at a time.. but I ended up downloading firefox because safari seemed slow and I wanted tabbed browsers (hell I didn't even look to see if safari has tabbed browsers)

oh yeah and how come ctrl c and ctrl v dont work :p
You already covered my advice which was more RAM.

For good free programs check our www.versiontracker.com

Safari has tabbed browsers, iBooks come with iLife, you can turn off the genie effect (minimizing animation in system preferences...that went after about 3 minutes for me)

OH, and "ctrl c" and "ctrl v" are now "Command C" and "Command V"

And question to E8502, Is it worth $100 (student price) to upgrade to Tiger from Panther? And are the changes to iLife for 05 worth my money to get that as well?

·
Registered
575 Posts
RiCeDoUt said:
You already covered my advice which was more RAM.

For good free programs check our www.versiontracker.com

Safari has tabbed browsers, iBooks come with iLife, you can turn off the genie effect (minimizing animation in system preferences...that went after about 3 minutes for me)

OH, and "ctrl c" and "ctrl v" are now "Command C" and "Command V"

And question to E8502, Is it worth $100 (student price) to upgrade to Tiger from Panther? And are the changes to iLife for 05 worth my money to get that as well?
Well, I bought the Family Pack of Tiger, because I have three Macs. Two of my Macs support Tiger fully, and my older 17" iMac 1 GHz does, but without full support of Core Image. This new feature called Core Image is a real plus for those newer Macs (anything made from about 2 years back and newer will fully support this):

Until now, harnessing the power of the GPU required in-depth knowledge of pixel-level programming. Core Image allows developers to easily leverage these programmable GPUs for blistering-fast image processing that can eliminate rendering time delays. Effects and transitions can be expressed with a few lines of code. Core Image handles the rest, optimizing the path to the GPU. The result is real-time, interactive responsiveness as you select and apply filters.
For those older Macs, Apple provided a fall back option:

For computers without a programmable GPU, Core Image dynamically optimizes for the CPU, automatically tuning for Velocity Engine and multiple processors as appropriate.
Spotlight is a built in "application" (I use quotes because it's not really an application, but more a built in feature of the OS) that searches your computer for any files, images, e-mails, contacts, calendars and applications with keywords.

Automator is an automation "assistant" that streamlines repetitive manual tasks without programming in scripts or code. Really, it's like a robot inside your computer that does things you want automatically.

In addition, there's a new version of Mail, iCal, Safari, "Dashboard" (which IMHO is useful for things, others would say its just eye candy), and H.264 support in Quicktime. Plenty good features and improvements I do believe. It also seems to be faster (I do erase and installs though, using my other computers and iPod Photo as backups) then when I was running Panther, especially on my 20" iMac and 17" PowerBook which support Core Image and Core Audio.

BTW, the student price is $69 plus tax when ordered from the Apple Store Online. Shipping is free.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
E8502, you seem to know your stuff. My dad told me that the graphic imaging department at his workplace is upgrading to all new G5 towers and he could probably snag me one of their G4 towers. I don't have any specs of their units, but I was wondering if you'd know how well Tiger will work on those machines?

·
Registered
424 Posts
athenaIRC 2.1(OSX) is what I use on my OSx. I got a free trial, or full copy of it somwhere. I don't know, I've had it for like 4 months, and have had no problems. Just do some checking. Maybe Downloads.com Just an option.

·
Registered
575 Posts
p3 said:
E8502, you seem to know your stuff. My dad told me that the graphic imaging department at his workplace is upgrading to all new G5 towers and he could probably snag me one of their G4 towers. I don't have any specs of their units, but I was wondering if you'd know how well Tiger will work on those machines?
Yep. Tiger will work just fine of most any G4 system. I actually know a few folks running Tiger on G3's with no issues. I think you'll be a-ok. :)

Once you get the specs, post 'em and we can see if you'll support Core Image/Core Audio fully.

On a side note, all my Macs are G4 systems, and Tiger just makes them faster. ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts