DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometime after I get my audio mods done I want to put in an EVIC in my 02 ES. The question is, If I have an OTIS with homelink, how easy is the upgrade to EVIC? Is it just plug & play or is there a catch?

·
Mopar or No Car
7,869 Posts
On my '02 R/T it was simple plug & play - 5 minutes tops and you're good to go. I replaced an OTIS with Homelink with an EVIC+TPMS.

It took longer to calibrate the compass and program the thing than it did to do the swap ... :)

·
Woober Goobers!
50,468 Posts
Make sure you check out Treppenwolf's thread on EVIC sales. Very good prices and EVICs that are in mint condition.
John's EVICs

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
Sometimes you need to cut back the insulator around the wire since the EVIC plugs into the opposite side as the OTIS

You may also need to get a larger scrw for mounting it to the roof

Obviously both are simple things but worth mentioning

·
Mopar or No Car
7,869 Posts
It's still a 2002 conversion - not previous years. The above notes are worth mention but I wouldn't worry about it if I were you.

2002 had some changes in the computers which makes them more compatible than previous yeas ...

BTW - Ronbo is right. Treppenwolf has some good deals as far as I've been able to tell ...

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have just gotten my EVIC, and am trying my OTIS swap. But I find myself stuck with the exact problem Joe warned about. The connection going into the EVIC is too short.

This is supposedly an easy install and I'd really like to get it over with. I appreciate any helpful suggestions.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Dodgaholic said:
When I removed the stock OTIS from mine, I had to enlarge the cutout some, for the EVIC. Not a lot, mind you, but some.
Thanks for the reply Dodgaholic. Can you please expand on that? Sorry, I didn't understand the expression "enlarge the cutout".

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
Yours should be fine, from your picture.

I mean the hole that is cut out of the headliner. Yours appears to be big enough. Mine was just enough to allow the OTIS to fit, but the EVIC is slightly longer, and I had to cut away more of the headliner, or "enlarge the cutout".

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Since, if you are using a stock harness for the OTIS, it is the same one used by the EVIC, it is just a case of having the wiring routed in the correct manner, in all of the little retainers long the side of the EVIC, and as snug as possible.
If you made your own haress by slicing into the overhead lights & adding wiring to the dash plug, well........................................you may have to get the "wire stretcher"

·
Registered
180 Posts
Dodgaholic said:
Yours should be fine, from your picture.

I mean the hole that is cut out of the headliner. Yours appears to be big enough. Mine was just enough to allow the OTIS to fit, but the EVIC is slightly longer, and I had to cut away more of the headliner, or "enlarge the cutout".
Got it now. Thanks!

Torontofirecaptain said:
f you made your own haress by slicing into the overhead lights & adding wiring to the dash plug, well........................................you may have to get the "wire stretcher"
Thanks TFC. Is that the route most people take? I was really hoping this was plug-n-play. Making my own harness is going to take some time. Do you know if a short M-F extender is available for this type of connector?

Reactions: k-nash

·
Mopar or No Car
7,869 Posts
Strange that you're having problems - I suggest you try diffrent ways of routing the cable inside the EVIC. I had to fritz with mine for a few minutes before I hit on the right pathway but it should fit with the stock wiring, though I admit it's snug ...

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
k-nash said:
When I swapped in my EVIC, I had to slice the tape for that harness, once I did that I was able to gain the extra slack needed to plug in the EVIC.
same here. just cut the tape and i was good to go.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Thanks Unreal. I think I will take the same route, and do the wrap around which TFC has mentioned (and you probably also did).

Is that a female?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Thanks D76G12, k-nash and I beata firebird ina ES.

From what I could tell, it seems that the EVIC brain connector is coming from the right side. I have tried to tug it and see if the extra length is just tucked under the liner, but that didn't help. I was also trying to see where I could slice the tape and try to free the harness, but didn't see anywhere that could be done.

I will try that again during the day tomorrow before I start working on an extension like Unreal has made.

Rep for all.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Sorry to steal this thread, since this one is about EVICs, I didn't want to start a new one.
I’m planning to install an EVIC and I haven’t seen anything relating to these 2 questions.
I have 2000 ES with an Otis with Homelink + I have installed an AHS.
Does the EVIC programming override or conflict with the AHS?
Does the EVIC cause any problems with remote start?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
ajztreppin said:
Thanks Unreal. I think I will take the same route, and do the wrap around which TFC has mentioned (and you probably also did).

Is that a female?
Indeed. Yanked it out of an extra skim module I had sitting around.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Got it done without having to create an extension.

Thanks, I really appreciate the help I've received from all of you, especially TFC.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts