DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was on my way to the Cities on sunday, going to the Mall. (needed some clothes and posters... stuff like that) So we pull off Hwy 94 and stop at Burger King. I look at the guages, all is good. as I am pulling out of the drive through, the temp guage shoots up and the light comes on, and quicker that my friend could take a drink of soda, I shut the car off and came to a stop on the side of the road.... steam everywhere (BAH!)
So we walk to Napa, pick up a new radiator cap (well, overflow tank cap) and thermostat, along with an adjuster wrench and some anti-freeze. I take the now cooled down radiator cap off and notice that the spring on the thing is dead. SO I was thinkin.. easy fix. fill it back up with water and new cap... get under way. and thats what happend. SO we go shopping, and come home.
On the way home... in about the same spot, I notice steam behind my car... so I shut the engine off AGAIN, coast to a stop on the side of the road (travelling 75 mph), and procede to watch steam just everywhere. sheesh. so the cap was not the problem. I get the adjuster wrench out, and put the new thermostat in. fill her back up with water. 5 minutes down the road (still an hour from home) the Heater (now on full blast in the car.. just in case) feels WAY too hot, so as a precaution, I pull over. calling my dad, who knows so much about cars it's sick, he told me to remove the thermostat and drive home. so I did, and didn't have any trouble. THe engine just never got about the first line on the temp guage.

OK. Now, does anyone have any info to what might be the cause of overheating? obviously I have plenty of water flow from the pump, because the engine ran so cool without the 'stat. did I just not wait long enough for the water to get in the engine? Was the system air locked?

Anyone? Help?

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
wow, that was a long post. well, something for all you's at work to waste some time on. :)

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Maybe after you changed everything, there was air in the system...then taking out the thermostat let the water flow more free? I don't know...hmmm...have you checked the water level since?

Could still be a water pump starting to go? My 93 Concorde's water pump crapped out on a vacation going to the U.P. in Michigan. I had to change it in a parking lot with the help of my brother (Chrysler tech).

·
Registered
89 Posts
Just a dumb question.

After installing the new thermostat, you had a problem, and then removed it, and all ran fine. With that in mind, did you by accident install the thermostat upside down?

Sounds like the only logical thing from what you explained.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
i've actually seen a thermostat installed upside down once. a dumbass from the blue oval house put it in my mom's dumpy 3.8 taurus that way and i've never looked at a ford the same way.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Wouldn't be surprised if your water pump is bad, but my guess is your timing belt has slipped and your overheating.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Sounds like a water pump, but if you went thermostatless and it worked then,,well you should be gettting circulation. Possible that you did install it upsidedown, but I give you more credit than that bro. I'm sorry you have to drive an hour to the mall..hehe...maybe you need to move out of the sticks ..lol. .j/k ..i'm a country boy myself. Really though, sounds like a bad thermostat, from what you've said.

·
Banned
3,574 Posts
He meant the Mall of America, second largest mall in the world. The largest is at where I am originally from, Edmonton Alberta, Canada. :)

Sheesh...he lives in Chees...I mean Wisconsin and he is only an hour away, I live in the north west Metro and am 30 minutes away. Damn TC traffic. :(

·
Registered
167 Posts
Really wow, did not know that. Yeah i'm like less then a 1/2-1 hour from woodfleid.

·
Registered
8,099 Posts
Originally posted by gise1:
Really wow, did not know that. Yeah i'm like less then a 1/2-1 hour from woodfleid.

Yep, if you don't count the Amusement Park inside the Mall of America, Woodfield is way bigger.

BTW, I have been to the Mall of America a few years ago, and I wasn't impressed.

Just my opinion of course.

I live like 10 minutes away from Woodfield, however, I don't go there very much.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
eheh.. that all happened sunday.. it is goin on tuesday, and I don't want to deal with it. I got roller blades. :) Anyway, I had the thermostat in the correct direction, I am positive on that. Now, with the new thermostat, the car Didn't overheat, but the air temp from the heat vents sure was hot. How hot does that run for most you you out there? Also. if the water pump were to seize up, wouldn't the timing belt squeal like no tomorrow? and if the seals went on the pump, wouldn't there be anti-freeze drippin out the front of the engine? (just evaluating the possibilites.) Boy though, with the thermostat out, the engine seemed peppy. I wasn't crazy/stupid/brainless enough to floor it, but I did notice an increased throttle response. hmm. who knows. As mechanically inclined as I am, I think I am just going to take it to the dealer and have them check it out/replace the pump while they do the fuel rail recall (remember that thing) BAH! I say. have the car for 2 months and this happens. BAH!

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
oh yea.. Mall of america is what I was talking about. I live in the student ghetto of Eau Claire, and am from a nice suburban town near milwaukee.

How much does the dealer charge for Timing Belt/Water Pump replacement?

·
Registered
12 Posts
proper bleeding of the cooling system is very important.cheers! Sully.(and it does sound like a pump problem).but make sueere the cooling fans come on(approx 130*)

·
Registered
436 Posts
Dealer charges about $550 to do water pump and timing belt. I guess I'll throw my 2 cents to all the topics covered here.

To LHSer, and all Mud Ducks(Minnesotans):
I hope you watched the game last night...NANANANANANANANANANA (this is all out of friendly rivalry of course).

The car problem:
Do water pumps just stop pumping without seizing (I would think not)?It seems weird that the car would just heat up instantly like that. If your pump was to seize, your timing belt would fry. My water pump wore out and started small leaks, but my car never over heated. Now that your going to bring it to a dealer it doesn't matter. It seems rare to have a thermostat go and on top of that buy a faulty one (anything is possible). I would agree to check your fans. How about the temp sensor? Head gasket?

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
temp sensor is OK...... it did shoot up when the car overheadted.. fans work well. I might not have bled all the air out correctly... probably not actually. I will check it out again today after class... put a NEW thermostat in, bleed ll of the air out and see what happens. $500 is too much for me to ge the water pump/timing belt done.. so looks like I will be working on the car in the street for a couple days Should the pump be the problem. I've had pumps go in other cars.. it just doesn't seem like it. if it were to seize, the belt wouldn't stand a chance. especially at 75 mph on the hwy. but I could just be smokin something. I don't think it could stop pumping unless it seized....... it is just a straight shaft from pully to impeller......

[ September 25, 2001: Message edited by: Lafrad ]

·
Registered
89 Posts
Usually the bearing wears out in the water pump. Remove the belt, and grab the water pump pulley, if there is any movement (UP/DOWN/LEFT/RIGHT) then it is beat. If it is tight, and you have no noise from it, the pump is still good.

·
Banned
3,574 Posts
Hey, I'm both a Vikings and a Packers fan... talk about strange. :)

Now hockey..no better team than the Edmonton Oilers...not the Oilers Of The East. (NY Rangers.)

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I am thinking I might put a new water pump in all by myself. how long does it take the weekend warrior and what tools do I really need? I have a full Socket set and such, and am not afraid to tackle a project such as this, but I don't have tons of time. I also have a Hayes manual

1 - 20 of 31 Posts