DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the car to the dealer this morning to have the trans issue looked at, the trans tech guy was backed up so they just scanned the TCM and found nothing. They also did a free courtesy inspection. The rear brake shoes were almost down to the metal and both cylinders were leaking. So, I had them replace them. I had them do a balance and roatate too. $241.16 out of my pocket :doh: . Two of my tires are shot and they also found out that the alignment is totally ****ed. Both tie rods ends and adjusters need to be replaced. So an estimated 478 bucks for that stuff too. I might do it my self.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
you can do the tie rods in the driveway but it's infinately easier if you have air tools. Just counthte threads on the old ones, screw the new ones inthe came amount and drive directly to the alignment shop.

Sorry to hear of everyone shoving thier hands in your pockets. But, it's just all part of owning a vehicle.

here's a link to the 1st gen manuals if you need them:
http://www.dodgeintrepid.net/forums/showthread.php?t=30662

cheers

BJ

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll probabily end up having the dealer do them. I just don't have the time. As for the tires, one of them, the tire tread is beggining to separate. I'll probabily get some cheap used tires thrown on until I can afford rims.

On the plus side, I'm getting $1,500 for the sable at the end of the week. Sadily, it's my only reliable car I own, and it's a ford. At least with that money the dodge should be road ready.

·
Registered
603 Posts
good timing on the sale :) I replaced the tie rod ends on my dodge ram 50 a few years ago in the driveway....that was fun :)

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
well on the plus side, my front brake calipers are okay on the trep. They are just cheap ass pads and rotors so they squeak. That I can do my self. The rear brakes (drum) I hate doing, thats why I had the dealer do them. It took me about a day and a half to do the ones in the Acclaim, and they still didn't work right.

The tech scanned the TCM and came up with nothing, but the trans tech is going to drop the pan and look inside tomorow.

I'm leaning towards having the tie rods done by the dealer. Just looking at them looks like it's going to be a pain. Plus they'll align the car for free :)

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just got back from the dealer where the trans tech dropped the pan to take a look inside. bad news, the seals are dried out causing that harsh shifting from 1st and 2nd. It will be about $3,000 to put a new trans in it with a 3/36 warranty. The good news is that he said I could get about another 30,000 miles out of the current trans before it dies.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
$3k for a tranny??

For that price you can get a PowerDemon for $2k plus install. PD has a chain of approved install/warranty shops.

·
Dain bramaged
7,213 Posts
or just do like me and my buddy did.. buy a low milage 2g tranny and stuff it in the car..

*well my buddy went to the pick and pull and pulled a trans with like 90k, but only paid 70 bucks.. I got one with 36k and paid 200$ so ymmv*

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll never buy a used trans again! Every one I had (total of 6) were junk. I'd rather save my money and have mine rebuilt professionally. I'm going to shop around later this week just to get some prices.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I took the car to a local tire shop to see what they could do about the tie rods. Turns out they are okay, but the adjusters were stuck. They were able to break the adjusters loose to align the car, however it still pulls a bit to the right. I'll bring it by again tomorow morning so they can look at it. The steering wheel is still a bit cocked to the right, as every Intrepid I've ever driven has done that, so I've gotten used to it.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay, I got the car back from the tire shop. The alignment is dead on. The tires are ****ed. The drivers side front one is starting to separate and get all bubbly. crappy Good year tires. **** good year!

Looks like its tire time!

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
A serious thought before you spend any more $$$

If you're thinking of spending $3k-$5k in repairs on a '95, remember that you could probably get a 2000 or so ES/3.5 for $5k.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Can't afford a new car. Plus, I really don't want one. I'll stick with what I got, no car payments. I like my cars, dispite them being a little greedy sometimes.

Why get another Intrepid for $5K when I can get a loaded 300M for the same price ;) , thats my next purchase.

·
Garfield Rules
9,144 Posts
If you do decide to have it rebuilt. Don't take it to Cottman they ****ed my car up big time and it still an't right I'm just wating to get a segond gen 2.7 tranny to replace it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts