DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i need to do my outer tie rod ends soon and is there a trick to getting these ones off or what i tried back when i bought the car to get the drivers side off because the rubber was shot but i couldn't but the end seemed fine so i put a new rubber on it and now it has a tiny bit off play in it
are they threaded normally or oppossite threads?
any tips to make this job easier

btw it is a 93 intrepid 3.3

·
Registered
604 Posts
try the search button i know that's had to of been answered b4 some where.

·
Registered
458 Posts
i recently had to replace the outer tie rod ends on my car too.
i just used LOTS of rust penetrating spray and a large monkey wrench on the large rubber part (easier to get more torque into that rather than using a little wrench on the actual spot for a wrench on the tie rod ends). the drivers side one came off fairly easy, the passanger side was more of a challange.

·
9,861 Posts
Main thing is getting the old ones off of the coupler. Once you do that, its a piece of cake.

They make a tool for removing it from the wheel side. Its basicly like a big crow bar. You might be able to get them out without it.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i got them done fairly easy the pass. was simple but the drivers side was a bit harder i had to heat it up but i got them both done and they were alot worse than i thought so i am glad that it is done.
thanks for the replies

·
9,861 Posts
Did heat help?

I dont think the hand of god could budge my passengers side tie rod end.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it made a big difference i couldn't get the drivers side one off at all last time i tried but i didn't have any heat to use but this time i did and it came off fairly easy

·
Registered
458 Posts
oh yeah, i almost forget about heat....
after we hosed it with rust penetrating lube, my dad took a torch to the passanger side tie rod end to loosen up the rust, it worked like a charm.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts