DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Woober Goobers!
50,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I recently sold a bunch of PCs and PC items on Ebay and decided to reinvest a small amount of the profits in an upgrade for my work horse PC that would do Video Editing, Video Trans-coding, etc. It's currently a relatively lame Intel Core 2 Duo and wanted to move up.

Bought an AMD Zambesi six core FX-6100 processor for $129 and an Asrock AMD 970 based mobo for $79. Decided to go with a heatsink/fan that's better than what came with the processor seeing as how reviews of that processor said it ran a little hot with the stock cooler.. Read a few reviews and settled on the Coolermaster Hyper 212+....$19.99 with rebate.

Well I didn't pay much attention to the details. Everything arrived yesterday and I assembled it today. So what do you think? Too much heatsink/fan? LOL!

I think I'm set for cooling! Even for future processor upgrades. This is going in an existing Lian-Li full tower case so there's no issue on clearance. The Heatsink is like 6.5" tall by itself. Add the height of the mobo on standoffs and you wouldn't be able to fit this in any mid-tower case. Cheaper than liquid cooling! Heck you can't buy a decent normal sized aftermarket heatsink/fan for $20 that actually does some decent cooling.

I think I'll just call this setup the "Tower of Power"!

·
Woober Goobers!
50,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Had to remove the stock base plate that's under the mobo along with the plastic brackets on top and replace them with the supplied one from CoolerMaster. Took about 10 minutes to do with a Philips screwdriver. Thermal compound is included.

This cooler works on Intel late model socket processors too.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Methinks cooling is a non-issue with that lil' bugger... or should I say lil' slugger?

·
Woober Goobers!
50,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I haven't fired it up yet to see what kind of temps there will be at idle and full load.

Got to admit..that's a lot of cooling hardware for $19.99!

A lot of the smaller coolers with smaller fans are pretty noisy. This Honker has a 120mm fan so it'll move a lot of air quietly. The kit also included brackets for adding an additional 120mm fan for Push/Pull airflow. Don't think I'll need them right now!

·
Woober Goobers!
50,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)

·
get off my lawn
15,507 Posts
can you ever over cool??

·
Registered
452 Posts
can you ever over cool??

^^^ this... cooling is obviously the most overlooked thing but id say the most important, all you will do is extend the computers life, and for $20 thats a steal where did you get it from, ive seen heatsinks that size going for more,

BTW dont overlook the power source, esp if you plan to throw in a high end graphics card

·
Woober Goobers!
50,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Already have a modular 750w power supply in the case so I'm ready to go on that front!

·
Woober Goobers!
50,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Starting up a barebones benchtop build to see how this does. Mobo on the bench with a Power supply and optical/hard drive attached. Loading Win 7 Ultimate x64. Update the drivers and then it's time for a "Torture" test to see what kind of temperatures I get on this puppy. Idle and full tilt boogey will be checked! Stay tuned!

·
Woober Goobers!
50,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Computers are the Devil's work! LOL!

·
Woober Goobers!
50,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Still loading drivers......then a few apps and benchmarks!

·
Woober Goobers!
50,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Prime95 running now. Will wait 2 hours with all 6 cores running full blast and check the temps. Cooler fan running at Level 2 of 9 @1150 RPM.

·
Woober Goobers!
50,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Looks like processor temps have leveled out at 50 degrees C so far!. Idle temp when I started was 34 C. I'll wait another couple of hours. Of course this will be different then when everything is in the case and sealed up. Right now everything is sitting in free air with plenty of airflow. I'm thinking maybe another 5 C when it's all in the case. Still impressive for the low fan speed...but it is a large 120mm that moves plenty of air at low speeds.

·
Registered
215 Posts

Devils work? Possibly. PITA certainly. Love it when it all comes together! I'm definitely a "fan" of over-cooling. In January my whole system took a nose-dive. I upgraded to a new board and Amd Phenom II Quad Core Black Series. Apparently my old fan died and the CPU cooked. I looked at the fluid cooled fans and decided that was out of my price-range but my local computer parts store had a few specials. One of which was a Gemin II S from Cooler Master. Freakin thing was huge.

But I loved the copper cooling lines that ran to the bottom of the cooling plate. No doubt one of the best system upgrades I've done. It's uber quiet and does the job well. What do you benchmark with? I haven't done this yet and since the CPU is designed to be overclocked I'm curious what the benefits would be.....

·
Woober Goobers!
50,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Then I'll do a 15% overclock and check again. These puppies are supposed to easily do 25%+ overclock on air cooling. Heard some reports of 40%! Too bad I'm not a Gamer.....then I could spend like $500+ on video cards! LOL!

·
Woober Goobers!
50,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
When I'm done with the tests...I'll take a picture of the mobo/fan with the stock Zambesi cooler sitting next to the mobo.

·
Woober Goobers!
50,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This cooler has 3 of the copper heat pipes running down into direct contact with the processor. I used the heatsink compound that CoolerMaster supplied. Appears to be the standard Spooge many cooler manufacturers provide. If I saw any indication of problems I would've changed over to the Arctic Silver compound. Right now it doesn't look like there's any need for it.

·
Woober Goobers!
50,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Back of cooler where the fan exhausts isn't even warm to the touch.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts