DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today, I just discovered a new problem on my Vision. That's the overdrive problem.

I was driving along highway 17 on Vancouver Island and the speed limit is 90km/h. I started to accelerate from normal street speed limit 50km/h to 100km/h. The overdrive kicked in at around 70km/h and the RPM dropped from 2100 to 1500. At the time, the car shaked from the hoop. So, I lifted my foot from the gas pedal and touched the gas pedal once again very slightly. The car didn't shake again and it ran well all throughout the highway at 110km/h.

I have experienced several shaking when the overdrive kicked in today. I would like to know what was happening? When the shaking occurred and I didn't lift my foot from the gas pedal, and continued to kick hard, there was some "pop" sound from the engine.

The shaking ONLY appeared when the car just shifted to overdrive. So, do you guys know what is happening? Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
9 Posts
That happened to me too a few times last year. I emediately got the tranny oil and filter changed, and haven´t had one problem since that! The shifting aalso got a bit smoother after the change. I think these trannys needs more frequent oil changes than the service intervals indicate...

·
Registered
583 Posts
Yes, the fluid and filter need to be changed. The problem is the torque converter is locking up too soon. The tranny fluid is loosing it's viscosity and not holding pressure .

·
Registered
638 Posts
Also, if you don't already have one, get a tranny cooler. I just installed one the other day and what a huge difference it made. It will help keep your fluid cool and thus keep it from losing it's viscosity too soon. It'll break down eventually though so you still have to do regular fluid flushes/changes to keep it happy.

Other than the tranny and thermostat problem how's your Vision been treating you?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for all the helps. I am going to change the transmission fluid soon. Do I need to take my Vision to the shop and get a flush? Can I do it myself?

My Vision only gives me these two problems now. And the theromostat problem has been solved. Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I would suggest getting it done at a dealership. It will be pricey but it's the only way you can guarantee the correct fluid will be used. Only genuine Mopar ATF +3 or +4 should be used with these transmissions. You might want to give the +4 a shot. I've seen an improvement since I switched over to it from the +3 that's normally used in our trannies.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts