DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a line on one, heading there this weekend to pull it. but i have questions...oh I have questions.
besides the console itself and probably some wires, is there anyhting else?

do i need to yank a computer, or any other modules?

if this is for a non sunroof model (i do not know yet) can I get a new bezel with the switches or am I SOL?

I presume I am gonna have to pull down the headliner, any problems I may look forward too in doing that? or is it pretty straight forward?

anything else I didnt ask but need to know?

if worse comes to worse and I can't use it, anyone else interested in it? (wrong color or whatever)

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
Is there anyplace online where i can get an overhead console. I want one of these bad. Also is there anyone within 150 miles of NYC that installed one of these? Id be willing to drive out to ya to help me install this thing. ;) ;)

Im going to check with the parts department at my dealer. Maybe they can do it for me.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I tried that with my dealer, and they wouldn't do it. The install is pretty simple. Just two wires to hook up, and a wee bit o' cutting o' ye olde headliner. There's a thread somewhere... I also have a printout somewhere of the install. I'll try to find it this weekend.

Oh yeah, try www.car-parts.com to get the console. You can use a Concorde, LHS, Intrepid, or 300M. It took me a few to find it.

[ October 04, 2001: Message edited by: MadTxn ]

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
and just like www.auto-recyclers.com I don't see a listing for it, unless it's using a totally obscure description.

·
Registered
973 Posts
If you have a sunroof, be sure to get one from a sunroof equiped car. Try to get the whole wire harness that goes down to the fuse box, then it is a plug in deal and all of the functions will be there.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Like Don says make sure you get the wire harness , then all you have to do is cut the hole in the headliner and run the wires down the left side windshield pillar to were the harness plugs into the fuse box panel. If you can save the headliner area with the hole cut out for the console you can use this as a template to draw out the opening on your headliner so you have a perfect fit. All second gen. LH cars have the console mounting bracket under the headliner. Make sure the console is from a 98 and up LH or it wont work.You dont need an sensors or computers ,just the console and harness.

[ October 05, 2001: Message edited by: ottowrkr ]

·
Registered
261 Posts
hey, anybody know if this works in first gens?? do we have the mounting brackets? is it just a plug-the-wire-harness-in thing or do you need sensors, electrical knoledge, etc.

Id really like an overhead console... any help? :confused:

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
yeah it works for 1st gen treps but you have to use a 1st gen console. plug and play !!

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well, I went to he yard, the actually had a couple, for 1st gens and 2nd gens, *BUT* none had sunroof control :mad:

SO now I am off to tampa to check out what they have over there.

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Originally posted by ottowrkr:
Like Don says make sure you get the wire harness , then all you have to do is cut the hole in the headliner and run the wires down the left side windshield pillar to were the harness plugs into the fuse box panel. If you can save the headliner area with the hole cut out for the console you can use this as a template to draw out the opening on your headliner so you have a perfect fit. All second gen. LH cars have the console mounting bracket under the headliner. Make sure the console is from a 98 and up LH or it wont work.You dont need an sensors or computers ,just the console and harness.

[ October 05, 2001: Message edited by: ottowrkr ]
I must have asked this before, but is this going to work on the base 2.7 by just doing this? I want one , but I also want all the functions to work (gas mileage/etc etc etc)

[ October 07, 2001: Message edited by: Intrepidatious ]

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Intrepidatious - yes it will work with the 2.7 , just dont get the one from the 01-02 300M with lux package unless you have a 01-02 car. This is the one with the menu button .

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
Hey Anthony... do you know any places by you that might have some overhead consoles? I might check out a few junkyards by my parents place tomorrow and see if i can pick one up.

Otto: How would I know if I get an overhead console if it has all the necessary parts (wire harness)? What does it look like and what should I look for?

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
DJ, no I don't know of any around here...but when you go...see if they have 2!! (make sure they have the harness!!) I'll defintely take one!

Did you end up going to the audio place this weekend? I went to New Jersey all day yesterday and had a meeting today with my future business partners about our PC Repair/Networking business we are starting...more on that to come! :)

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
Sweet.

Actually I went to the audio place today... but they were closed. Duh!

I am thinking about either going tomorrow (Monday) since im off or next Saturday. Are you going to be around either of those days? I want to get the tints put on my car and maybe an alarm or sub.

I also might check out the junkyards by my parents place tomorrow to look for an overhead console. What does the wire harness look like so I know what to look for?

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
If find a console then follow the wires that go into down to the left fuse panel area ,thats all you need. remove the console and wires and cut out around the headliner area with the hole to use as a template. The hardest part is cutting the headliner.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Thrasher...how much were they charging for those consoles??? Did you check? Hey Otto, maybe you should write up detailed instructions maybe with some kind of diagram, seems a lot of people want this mod, of course only if you feel inclined to do so. I know it seems easy, but myself, I feel paraniod about cutting the headliner.....

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
DJ, maybe next Saturday, we'll see. I don't know if I am supposed to meet with my partners next Sat or Sun.

But if you are heading over to the junkyarsd, let me know if they have anything worth getting (console, leather interior, spoiler, hell anything!)

[ October 07, 2001: Message edited by: Intrepidatious ]

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
Well there are a bunch of junkyards. There are some big ones by Shea Stadium. Ill probably hit those first. Then there are more in the Elmhurst/Masbeth/Woodside area of Queens, right off Queens Blvd. I'll let you know what I find.

Lets shoot for Sat then to hit Tunes, if you arent doing anything else. Ill have more cash by then. :)

·
Registered
990 Posts
I'd be interested =) but would also request u email me the instructions in case I don't see them.. thanks 96 3.5L Non sunroof =(

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well I found a couple, one place wanted 150.00 for it, another wanted 250.00 (came out of a concorde with 1000 miles on it)

I did not ask how much they wanted for the 1st gen ones, but I saw several...if either of the 2nd gens would have had sunroof controls, it would have been all mine.

my wife is rollin on over to tampa today to head to this place that gets all newer cars, they are closed on weekends and she has the day off so shes gonna roll on over there and see.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts