DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see the second gen guys or gals are talking about overhead consoles. Did the first gen treps every offer any overhead consoles (probably in an ES)? If they did would I be able to install one in my base model trep that just has the overhead lights? And if they did have overhead consoles in the first gen treps, what did they offer (temp, gas mileage, lights etc)?

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have one in my 94 Intrepid ES. So they do have them i don't know about base model or not. But i do know that is was an option because I know someone w/ an ES that doesn't.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I also have an overhead console in my 94 ES. I believe there are two different kinds of overhead consoles offered for the 1st Gens. One was offered with the sunroof and the other was offered with out it. The one for the sunroof should be able to just take the place of the stock lights (if I remember right you guys have a plastic piece that the lights are mounted in right???). The one that I have in my car has everything that the sunroof one has and it has a sunglass holder & an electric garage door opener. This one probably will not be able to fit in the stock location of the lights...

Hope this helps!

[ June 19, 2001: Message edited by: swartlkk ]

·
Banned
3,574 Posts
The overhead in my LHS (I have a sunroof too) has instantanious mileage, average mileage, Distance To Empty, compass, tempurature gauge, elapsed time, and a second trip meter. (There is an analog one on the speedo.) I think I am forgetting something..but I don't know what. :D

[ June 19, 2001: Message edited by: LHSer ]

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So what your saying is that I need to find a junked Intrepid with a stock sunroof and with an overhead console. The overhead console may take place where I have the 2 overhead lights. 1. Does anyone have any pictures of this exact console (sunroof and console only). 2. Any clue what I would have to do for wiring? Obviously I already have 12 volts up there.

·
Banned
3,574 Posts
The wiring could be quite tough. If you end up getting the console like I have, you need a way for it to calculate instant mileage, average mileage, distance to empty, as well as sensors for tempurature, and compass among the other things such as trip meter and elapsed time. (Thats the one I forgot.)
LHS' have automatic climate control, so there are 3 sensors that measure tempurature, sun intensity, etc. As well as the muriad of other sensors I mentioned above.

I have heard of gen II people putting in OH consoles, but I don't know about gen I. Good luck though, it would be sweet if you can do it.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
The wiring may already be up there just not hooked to anything. You should take yours down and see what is up there before getting too involved into it.

Kyle

·
Registered
209 Posts
There are two different body control modules that were used on 1st gen Intrepids. The basic module did not have functions built in for the OTIS (overhead travel information system) or the RKE (remote keyless entry) system. If your trep has keyless entry, then it will also have the correct body control module to run the overhead console. If you do not have keyless entry then you will probably need to change the body control module to get the console functions.

Wiring is very simple. Communications is via the CCD bus, so there are just four connections to be made:

Ground
Fused ign switch + (fuse 14)
CCD Bus +
CCD Bus -

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Body control module??? Is where all the functions are calculated and displayed on the overhead console? I don't have keyless entry. Where is the body control module?

·
Registered
209 Posts
The Body Control Module (BCM) supplies vehicle occupants with visual and audible information and controls various vehicle functions. To provide and receive information, the module is interfaced to the vehicle's serial bus communications network (the Chrysler Collision Detection bus, or CCD bus ). This network consists of the Powertrain Control Module (PCM), the Transmission Control Module (TCM) , the electro/Mechanical Instrument Cluster (MIC) , the optional Overhead Travel Information System (OTIS) , Airbag Control Module (ACM) , and the optional Automatic Temperature Control (ATC) display head. The BCM is operational when battery power is supplied to the module. Ignition switch power is needed for ignition switched functions.

The body control module is located under the lower dash, above the right hand side kick pad.

You can tell if you have the base model controller or the premium controller by the number of connectors on it. The base model has 2 and the premium has 3 connectors.

You can also tell if you have the premium by the prescence of one or more of the following systems:

Automatic Temperature Control (ATC)
Overhead Travel Information System (OTIS)
Vehicle Theft Security System (VTSS)
Automatic Headlamps (Ultra Light System)

I am guessing that your car is the same as mine, and does not have any of these systems.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Ncbrit ,good info . I could not have said it better myself. You must have the correct body controller fot the otis to work. actually if you do have the correct computer and want to install the overhead console try and find the otis from the LHS ,its samller than the one for the Intrepid and is much easier to install, and has all the same functions.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts