DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I don't post much on this forum, only when something breaks on this thing... or when I need some help with Mopar's weird way of design. Anyhow... My sister's intrepid was overheating a tad on her, not to the point of no return. Just way higher than usual. Odd thing is, it some what happens only when the AC is on. Now this may be just pure coincedence. But it doesn't overheat all the time. The fans kick on like normal, and her coolant level seemed to be low.

So this is what I decided to do, I replaced the thermostat (it's the original one) and flushed the fluid from the motor/radiator and so on. I burped the system, and all seems fine. I also loosened the belt, to check for any play in the pulley. There is VERY minimum play in the pulley and no sounds of a bad bearing. Anyhow,...

My main concern, is there any internals to the water pump that I should worry about? Anything common that you gurus may have encoutered?

Just thought I would ask,

Sal

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Anyone else?

Update: It's not overheating as bad now... But still does get a little hotter then before. Lemme know what you all think.

Sal

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Umm, does it only do it when the A/C is on ? If so check to see if the fans are kicking one when you turn the A/C on. Also do the fans kick on even with out the A/C ? If not look into the HI and LOW fan relays.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Yes the fan has two speed for AC. It one runs as soon as you turn the ac on. Then if the ac high side pressure gets past a set pressure one of the fans kicks to high speed. (don't remember which one)

As far as the water pump there is nothing else to do wrong with them. They are a simple impleller pump and should either work or be bad. The only issue that could happen with a pump is if it was a reman and they rebuilt it with a plastic impeller. Have never seen one but it could happen. Plastic impellers are know to fail on pumps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.