DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1994 dodge Intrepid, 120,000 miles. For two years the car was fine, Now it's been over heating. A month ago I was getting ready to get rid of the car because I couldn't drive for ten minutes without it overheating, and then the timming belt pop. So I fixed the timming belt, water pump,and spend a whole lot of money to fix the overheating problem but, everytime I pick up the car at the shop the next day same thing over heating. All of a sudden two weeks ago I drove the car it didn't over heat. I drove for 1 hour it no overheating. I have no Idea what this was about But I know that the car has Issues. Now that it's working I want to keep it. I just want to find a good mechanic that I can trust becaue I spent too much money already with no progress.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
You have a first generation 'Trep, right?

·
Registered
76 Posts
What exactly did the mechanics do to your car? What Engine Size? My first Guess would be the Thermostat. But if not, or if tht has been replaced, my next question is What environment do you usually drive in? and when what the las time you had your Coolant Flushed. Also, When your car starts to get hot, try and turn on you Heater to Full blast on the floor, and see if that helps... Let me know..

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Move this to firstGen repairs, please...

·
Registered
119 Posts
I am glad that you took my advice and asked your question here.

If you still want to see a reliable mechanic, then go to my mechanic. He has been informed of your problem and he's ready to take a look at your car.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
It still amazes me how you can come to conclusions like, sell the car due to an overheating problem that has seen zero effort to resolve.

Timing belt and numerous visits to the shop does not count as effort if the thermostat has not been changed yet.

Start with the simple stuff.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Outside chance--I once had a car begin overheating right after changing the coolant. I guess I didn't flush all the old stuff out, because after trying everything I could think of, I found the problem was that the coolant was full of foam. As you know, entrained air doesn't make a good coolant. I surmise that either the old stuff I didn't get completely flushed out had used up all its additives or it didn't like mixing with a different brand.

J

·
0 Posts
Or there is air trapped in the cooling system.

But yes - as they say, Thermostat would cause overheating.

My thoughts on overheating go like this:

1. Check coolant: If NO coolant, add. If YES coolant, proceed to step 2. If coolant is any other color but green, flush it. 50% Destilled Water ($0.99/gallon) and 50% Prestone Green. Or, get a premixed coolant bottle. 10 gallons.

2. Check Thermostat: If Thermostat broken, replace, if not broken step 3.
Thermostat could be constantly closed, cuz It's broken. It happens. So even if it looks "aight" you should still replace it. The onlyway to tell is to take it out, stick a thermometer into the pot on the stove and cook it in boiling water. if it OPENs at 215F then it's ok. If it doesn't, it's broken.

3. Check for air by bleeding air out of coolant system via bleed screw on thermostat once the car warmed up fully. If YES air comes out, bleed it out. If NO air comes out, only coolant, then go to 4.

4. Check fans when car warmed up. Quick test is to turn on AC. Fans should kick in when AC is on. If Fans do NOT kick in when AC is on, assume electrical problem with fans. (Relay, Fuse, Fan Junction/Splitter Box mounted between them, or, fan electric motors themselves..) If Fans Don't come on, trace the electrical problem. If Fans DO come on and the car is still overheating, assume water pump problems or physical hose pinch/blockage somewhere in the system.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts