DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a problem with my '94 Eagle Vision TSI 3.5L overheating. I noticed a couple days ago that the heat would cut off at idle. I checked the coolant level in the reservoir and it was OK. Today it began boiling out of the over-flow reservoir while stopped at a stop light. Tonight I replaced the thermostat (the old one seemed OK when I took it out), refilled the system, and bled off the air. It heated up OK, I drove it around a while and the temp gauge stayed where it typically registers. When I got back to the house and let it idle a little more it began to gurgle and boil back through the reservoir - boiling out about a half gallon of coolant.

Any ideas of other things to check?

·
get off my lawn
15,507 Posts
replace the cap ill bet its bad

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
where did you refill the system from?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I beata firebird ina ES said:
where did you refill the system from?
From my kitchen sink. :icon_lol:

Just kidding. I filled the block before I replaced the thermostat, and then filled it the rest of the way via the overflow reservoir.

I went ahead and took it into my mechanic's shop. (It's 20 degrees here today and icy. I don't have a garage and don't feel like working on it outside in the cold.) He thinks it's probably the water pump, but we'll see.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Wait, so you filled both the radiator and the overflow reservoir? If so, then it'll naturally flow over since the overflow is already full.

But if I'm reading you wrong and you didn't fill the overflow reservoir, my guess would be that your water pump is starting to go bad and maybe it's only seizing up every once in awhile. Cause they usually get hot and overflow rather quickly if the pump is completely non-functioning.

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
Wait, so you filled both the radiator and the overflow reservoir? If so, then it'll naturally flow over since the overflow is already full.

But if I'm reading you wrong and you didn't fill the overflow reservoir, my guess would be that your water pump is starting to go bad and maybe it's only seizing up every once in awhile. Cause they usually get hot and overflow rather quickly if the pump is completely non-functioning.
You can't fill the radiator, only fill point would be the reservoir.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
dakotaquadsport said:
You can't fill the , only fill point would be the reservoir.
not true when i fill mine i do it from the top radiator hose till it comes out the thermostat housing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, once again this forum proves to be a great source of information. The engine temperature was staying where it was supposed to be, but, while the car was idling, coolant would boil out of the reservoir. My mechanic decided that the radiator / reservoir cap was bad - it was not sealing properly. He replaced it and the car is working fine. (I have a GREAT mechanic!)

Thanks again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts