DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Overheating issue has me stumped

823 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  JC31579 
#1 ·
:banghead:

OK so I'm over heating. I have a `97 Interpid 3.5L possible issues (that I can think of),

Raditor cap (New)
Thermostat (New)
Water pump (New)
Hoses (no leaks and have good flow of water)
Radiator (good flow; warm to touch indicating flow)
Heater core (heat works and no water present on passanger floor)
Coolent (water now untill I can isolate the problem and fix it then will go 50/50)
Fans (currently have both fans on at all time, while car is running)
Head Gasket (NO oil in water or water in oil, no white smoke out exhaust, no water vapor out the exhaust either) doing a compression check soon what should it read?)
I have bleed the system over and over again how long should this take I have had the car running for over an hour still getting bubbles.

the Car doesn't over heat while ideling in park. But while driving I have about 2 miles till I overheat

Any thoughts or subjestion are welcome

Thank you.:banghead::banghead:

See less See more
#2 ·
First thing I'd do is take the Tstat out and put it in boiling water on the stove and watch that it does, in fact, open.
Even new ones can be faulty - case in point, just changed an engine for a member here because of exactly that - faulty new Tstat, fried the engine.

#3 ·
I had this problem. I had a bad head gasket. No antifreeze in oil, no oil in antifreeze. No white smoke. The leak was small, and directly into the combustion chamber. I believe when the engine ran, it pushed air into the coolant, causing the overheat. This thing had me stumped for a while. Air would get trapped near up by the thermostat, the darn thing would stay shut, overheat and spit it out the tank. I pulled that little valve on the side of the thermostat and that seemed to help keep it running longer. Now that its warm, you could probably take it out all together and drive without it as temp measure, maybe. I used this stuff to seal the head... http://images.google.com/imgres?img...seal&um=1&hl=en&rlz=1B2DVFD_en__212__213&sa=G
It worked for two year till I pulled the head. This was on a 93 with a 3.5. This stuff is a last change option before major engine work. I mean if someone is driving a $500 car and does not want to spend $3000 to repair it, this is probably the stuff for you. If you cherish your vehicle and want it done right, gotta tear into her and just repair it.

#4 ·
update::banghead:

checked thermostat with boiling water: thermostat opened in the boiling water and closed when removed.

Compression check: I have consistant compression across all cylinders.

with these results I feel it is safe to remove the Head Gasket and Thrmostat off the list of possible issues

any other idea?

Please help:banghead:

#7 ·
ok assuming it is a head gasket, how would I go about figuring which head (even or odd).

Currently still trying to bleed the system.... I can get the system to bleed stright water (no air bubbles) while the car is off, turn the car on and let it run it the air bubbles just will not stop have gonne through a 1/4 tank of gas just siting the in idel -1500 rpms any thoughts on this?

#9 ·
Update to issue still praying for anything but head gasket:crying:

Use a pressure cap tester on cap the new one is bad (stupid autozone) replaced the replacement

also checked the system with the tester. pumped it up to 16psi and started the vehical watch the pressure increase to about 20-23psi

please correct me if I'm wrong but if I have consistante compression and constante pressure in the coolent system I can rule out the head gasket

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.