DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I finally got the word from the mechanic today of why my car was heating up.

I thought it was a thermostat, but after fixing that, it still got hot. The thermostat was damaged though, so we got that out of the way last weekend.

Well, for satarters, the radiator was 40% blocked and then it was found that the timing belt was worn on the smooth side so it slipped on the water pump pulley.

Nice huh? Sounds like the previous owner took really good care of her eh? Judging from the buildup, the prevois owner decided tap water was cool to add to engines. What a jackass!

Oh well, tomorrow I get it back for around $500. If I wasn't so busy with college, the repair would have been done at home, but I just couldn't find time.

Heres the following things that were fixed:
2 new radiator hoses
Waterpump pulley resurfaced (pump istelf is in great shape)
Radiator flush (flushed off the car at a radiator shop)
new timing belt
new Mopar coolant and DISTILLED water :D

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Netjunky said:
How did they check the rad for deposits? Look in the rad after the hoses were taken off?
Basically, yeah, they take the rad out of the car and see how much it flows, after all, if the shop knows how much a clean one flows and how much mine flowed, the can determine how badly it is clogged.

40% isnt the worst my mechanic has seen, try 90% blocked! Ouch!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts