DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so, my intrepid decided to be a *****..... backstory, drove to DMV ~5 miles, car ran hot, but not too hot (jsut below 3/4) went to gas station ~2 miles, car stayed hot, hovering enar 3/4, drove to highway to go home, just as getting on the on-ramp, noticed temp was pegged all the way high, shut off car, pulled over....... popped hood, coolant tank aws boiling over, released some pressure, waited for it to cool, drove again.......... over ehated again on highway, pulled over, let cool, rinse and repeat............. so, strated driving with heat blasting, get off my off-ramp and watch temp gauge hovering around 3/4, all of a sudden, in a matter of seconds, the gauge literally dropped from ~3/4 to ~1/2......... got home, shut off car and waited........ replaced t-stat, but when I pulled the housing, the coolant port (Lower intake area, whatever it's called) was bone-dry, as was my resoviour, poured an entire gallon of coolant into lowr intake and anoher entire gallon into coolant tank.......... strated car, heat blasting, drove, didn't get too hot, stayed below 1/2, but when I opened the hood after my drive, all the coolant was still in the resovior, none went into the car............ I check and there's no leaks anywhere, so, I'm wondering, since our system capacity is 3 gallons I believe, where the hell over two gallons of coolant went......... any ideas???

·
Registered
35 Posts
Sounds to me like an air lock, be sure to bleed the system while filling be sure the radiater is full not just the resvr.Your original problem sounds like a stuck thermostat.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes, system was bled of air

·
Registered
76 Posts
Definately an Air Pocket. But A very very small chance it was you T-stat. Now when your car is cold take the radiator cap off, and top off the coolant. Leave cap off and start you engine. Let engine warm up (you need you thermostat to be open), then rev engine up to abut 2.5k and keep it there, and while your engine is revved up, keep adding coolant, then replace cap, then release throttle. This will purge the air, and when you let you car go back to idle it will push excess coolant back into the resevoir and create the suction in the lines that it needs to draw coolant out of the resevoir.

Hope it helps

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Could also be a bad radiator cap.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
new cap, new tstat and I did bleed the air, car didn't over-heat today, but it runs much hotter, just below 1/2 even on highway

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Your new thermostat may be controlling the temperature at that point. Keep an eye on it. At that point are your fans running?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Right around Half Temp sounds about right.

But running hotter than normal could be a couple of things.... Colant/water mixture is wrong, sounds like too much coolant, not enough water. Could be that you might still have a flow restriction, a Coolant drain and flush might help. Or the spring on the cap that you got could be set wrong. It happens every once in a while that someone get a bad new part.....

But again, Half seems like the right Operating temp, Especially as the weather gets warmer. I would keep watching it closely.....

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well, it's not overheating or anything anymore, but it's runner hotter than it used to, fans usually come on at half like they're supposed to, but, my car seems to be running jsut shy of the fan temperature, I"m gonna spend the money to egt the cooling system flushed just in case

1 - 10 of 10 Posts