DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I left the coolant reservoir cap loose after checking the fluid level. This morning (unknowingly) I drove the car and ran my heater... After about 15 minutes I noticed the smell of coolant and steam shooting out from my hood from the passenger side (where the coolant reservoir is located). I also observed the car was beginning to overheat. So I pulled over and popped the hood to find coolant and steam shooting out as well as the loose cap. I tightened the cap and proceeded to drive to a gas station to get some coolant because of all the coolant I lost. Even after pouring a gallon of coolant in the temperature guage continued to read hot (sometimes in the red, sometimes not) and fluctuate. I took it to the dealership who was backed up for hours, but a tech told me that it could be an air pocket? Is there anyone who can diagnose this situation? Any suggestions about what could havve caused this? All I did was leave the coolant reservoir cap loosened! Thanks for any help in advance...

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Some additional info about my car: I had the water pump replaced a few months ago and I can hear my thermostat open and close. Thanks...

·
Registered
83 Posts
my car ahd a similar problem, all the coolant gushed out the oveflow at the bottom of the car on the passengers side. My mechanic said i blew my head gasket. :eek: :eek: .
so i've had to pull the engine apart w/ my dad to fix it b/c i don't have $800 to fix it professionally.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by Dodge4life:
my car ahd a similar problem, all the coolant gushed out the oveflow at the bottom of the car on the passengers side. My mechanic said i blew my head gasket. :eek: :eek: .
so i've had to pull the engine apart w/ my dad to fix it b/c i don't have $800 to fix it professionally.
oohhhh. I'm sure my engine would be knocking like a headboard on prom night if I had a blown head gasket.... she purrs like a kitten. Thanks.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I kept putting in coolant and now it seems to be OK... I appreciate the feedback. Maybe it lost so much coolant that it was just overheating? The temperature guage is back to normal and it seems to be holding... Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
There is a similar fitting on the 1st gens. I can take a picture of it in a few minutes, but I just woke up.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Just puttin my $.02 in. Hope u figure it out though.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Here's the pic that I took alittle while ago of the bleeder.

I assume that you have the 3.5L as you have an ES but there are sum ES's with the 3.3L. Anyway, with the engine cold and off, make sure that the bleeder will atleast move. You may want to put alittle penetrating oil on it. Be gentle! Once you get it loose, let the car get warm and fix a clear hose to the end of this 'NIPPLE' (hehe) and open it up slightly and let the coolant run out until you get only coolant in the line. Oh yeah, you should have a bucket under the end of the line somewhere. If no air comes out of there then your problem mostlikely lies somewhere else in the coolant system. If air comes out then you probably have fixed it.

Good luck and hope ya get it fixed
Happy 2002 to everyone
Later

[ January 01, 2002: Message edited by: swartlkk ]

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by swartlkk:
Here's the pic that I took alittle while ago of the bleeder.

I assume that you have the 3.5L as you have an ES but there are sum ES's with the 3.3L. Anyway, with the engine cold and off, make sure that the bleeder will atleast move. You may want to put alittle penetrating oil on it. Be gentle! Once you get it loose, let the car get warm and fix a clear hose to the end of this 'NIPPLE' (hehe) and open it up slightly and let the coolant run out until you get only coolant in the line. Oh yeah, you should have a bucket under the end of the line somewhere. If no air comes out of there then your problem mostlikely lies somewhere else in the coolant system. If air comes out then you probably have fixed it.

Good luck and hope ya get it fixed
Happy 2002 to everyone
Later

[ January 01, 2002: Message edited by: swartlkk ]
Thanks for your input... I'll keep that in mind for future reference - my car is a 3.5L and it seems to be running fine now. Thanks for everyone's help!

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
trutrep => Even after pouring a gallon of coolant in the temperature guage continued to read hot (sometimes in the red, sometimes not) and fluctuate.

No, no, no, never put pure coolant in when ur engine is over heating (or any time), that'll make things worse, it'll turn to sludge in ur engine if it's too hot.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Could also crack some stuff. The coolant in the bottle is a lot cooler than what is in that hot engine. Think of a chunk of ice being dropped into hot water. Snap! Crackle! POP!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts