DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 2002 3.5HO police package intrepid has been overheating lately.
Only when I drive above 1.8k rpm and if I go back under 1.8k its cools down slowly, sometimes.
I changed the thermostat already.
I am having the timeingbelt and waterpump replaced Monday.
After I get it back from the shop I am going to replace an 02 sensor for error P0138 I believe.
Just tonight on the way home I realized the heat defrost was blowing cold air. Just about a week ago it was not.
Anyone have any idea what this could mean?

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,749 Posts
It sounds like your coolant might be low, or your fans are not kicking on. You should be able to hear the fans come on when it heats up. The heat blowing cold is a dead giveaway of low coolant. If your waterpump is leaking it would cause a similar condition too. Hopefully its not anything more serious.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
coolant could be low I haven't checked it for a few days since I've kept it from overheating. Waterpump is not leaking, I think the bearings are going. The fans are working just replaced them last summer and just checked when i changed the thermo.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
it spurts out when it overheats but i had been keeping it just under overheating... i dunno I'll take a look at the thermostat seal again cause it wasn't leaking before I changed the thermo.. if it is now I think thats the only place it would be.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Well......since you just replaced the thermostat.
When you installed it, did you put it in the right way?(sounds stupid but some can be put in the wrong way)

Was the coolant low?
If so you might wanna check all the places where it could be leaking, (clamps,seals).

Go step by step and dont jump around looking for the problem. Whats the water pump doing to make you think the bearings are going? is it making high pitched screams?\

AND was it over heating before the thermostat replacement? if not it might be an air bubble. An air bubble would also make it so the water pump would make noises too. An air bubble could also be created when your coolant gets too low over time and it sucks air back into the radiator as the coolant cools down

·
Registered
36 Posts
we just had that problem at my house found it to be the oil drive is there any noises at all(( other than normal engine noises)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts