DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 97 Intrepid ES is overheating in city traffic (when I go there) and when there's no cool wind blowing on the rad because the fans aren't working.

I've got two fuse panels, one under the hood with all the relays, and another in the car.
The fuse in the car for my rad fan is fine.
But the 40 amp fuse in the relay box (please tell the real name of this box if possible, it'd be appreciated lol) is blown.
I took the 40 amp fuse for the ABS brake motor for now and put it where the blown one was for the Rad Fan.
Turned the car on and waited a while and it ends up that one blew too so it wasn't just an old fuse.
Now I'm moving to the relays but I don't think there's any way to tell if the relays are good by just looking at them. There's two of them for the fans, one for low and one for high. If it's not them then I'm gonna look at the fan motors, if not then the TCU.

Any suggestions on these plans?

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,749 Posts
Most likely, youve either got a shorted relay, or a shorted fan motor causing the fuse to blow. Unplug the fans and see if the fuse still blows. If it does the problem is in the wiring between the fans and the fuse.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I hope you are not driving your car with the fans not operating...that is one sure way to overheat, especially if you also use your A/C. I just replaced one of my rad fans a couple years ago and now have to replace the other. It's a pain but well worth it, if I don't want my car blowing (already blew water outlet on freeway 5 months ago).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea I'm driving around every day with them not working.
The engine doesn't overheat it's overheated twice since i've had the car in the span of about 4-5 months so I'm not worried.
Never use my a/c either. Has to be filled/

1 - 5 of 5 Posts