DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Day all...

My issue!?! Overheating...

Driving at highway speeds, I noticed my temp had spiked... I was still quite a ways from work, so slowed down and temp dropped off the red line...Added 2 litres of 50/50... By this time the temp was down to mid range and I was able to move again... Within 2 miles it had maxed out again...

There is a small wet area on the ground under the engine, about mid frame and just a little aft of the belts... Also, blowing cold air from the blowers.. This spike in temp is all of a sudden... I can watch the temp rise normally, then all of a sudden it shoots to max, and at this time, warm air starts from the blowers...

I think this is pointing to a water pump, but the sudden spike and cold air has me a little confused !!!

Would appreciate any hints...

OH yeah, as a long shot and the cheap route, I replaced the Rad Cap...

Thanks

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,838 Posts
Judging by where you are seeing the leak, it sounds like the waterpump might be leaking.

What year/engine?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, that would have helped...

02 2.7...

I read in the manual that if both hoses, upper and lower, were warm, then the pump is circulating???

Is this always accurate?

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,838 Posts
That is true for the most part. Even if the water pump is leaking it still can circulate. The weep hole for the pump is in the general area you describe as seeing the leak, and being a 2.7 I would have that pump checked out. Check your oil too and make sure it is not milky in color.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts