DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My wife's 01 Intrepid ES overheated about a week ago so she pulled over and shut it down, I got there topped off the antifreeze to get it home, it wouldn't start back up, I ran the codes and got P0340. Weather finally warmed up so I replaced the sensor, cleared the codes and it won't start, threw P0340 code again. The sensor the parts store gave me is loose in the hole where the original was quite tight, is it possible they gave me the wrong one? I could understand overheating making an 18 year old sensor give out I guess, anyone have any ideas, the Chiltons manual says "No Fuel Sync" under description of diagnostic trouble code for P0340 and "No cam signal at PCM" under DRB scan tool display. They put some real thought into making a 5 minute job take much longer by putting the intake directly above it.

·
Woober Goobers!
49,395 Posts
You really should get an OEM sensor from the dealer. The aftermarket sensors are known to be crap. Another or additional possible cause of your issue maybe the Crankshaft Position Sensor is crapping out also.

Another thing to try would be try to start it with the cam position sensor disconnected (Electrical Connector). If it starts and runs up to about 2000-2500 rpm then it's a bad Camshaft sensor. A No Start all is commonly the Crankshaft Sensor.

·
Woober Goobers!
49,395 Posts
I just saw it's a 3.2/3.5L engine. When was the last time the timing belt was changed? What was the Actual Cause of the Overheat condition? It's quite possible your Timing belt broke. What does it sound like when it's turning over? Normal?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You really should get an OEM sensor from the dealer. The aftermarket sensors are known to be crap. Another or additional possible cause of your issue maybe the Crankshaft Position Sensor is crapping out also.

Another thing to try would be try to start it with the cam position sensor disconnected (Electrical Connector). If it starts and runs up to about 2000-2500 rpm then it's a bad Camshaft sensor. A No Start all is commonly the Crankshaft Sensor.
Well I unplugged it, and it came close to starting but didn't, closer than with it plugged in, will probably just invest in a crank sensor anyway. Could the overheating have caused the sensor to crap out, or is it just coincidence that they happened at the same time?

·
Woober Goobers!
49,395 Posts
Take your pick of solutions.......

Symptom:
P0340-NO CAM SIGNAL AT PCM

When Monitored and Set Condition:
P0340-NO CAM SIGNAL AT PCM

When Monitored: Engine cranking/running.
Set Condition: At least 5 seconds have elapsed with crankshaft position sensor signals
present but no camshaft position sensor signal.

POSSIBLE CAUSES
8 VOLT SUPPLY CIRCUIT SHORTED TO VOLTAGE
CMP SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO 8 VOLT SUPPLY CIRCUIT
CMP SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO VOLTAGE
TONE WHEEL/PULSE RING DAMAGED
SENSOR GROUND CIRCUIT OPEN
WIRING HARNESS INTERMITTENT
STRAY SIGNAL FROM THE CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR
IRREGULAR LAB SCOPE PATTERN OF CMP SIGNAL
CMP SIGNAL CIRCUIT OPEN
CMP SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND
CMP SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO SENSOR GROUND CIRCUIT
8 VOLT SUPPLY CIRCUIT OPEN
8 VOLT SUPPLY CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND
8 VOLT SUPPLY CIRCUIT SHORTED TO SENSOR GROUND CIRCUIT
CAMSHAFT POSITION SENSOR
POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (8 VOLT SUPPLY)
POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (CMP SIGNAL CIRCUIT)
POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (SENSOR GROUND CIRCUIT)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts