DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've come to nag and bug again boys!

My car tripped the CEL today, only showed P0442 multiple times. I know from past experience on my Dodge truck that this is a small EVAP leak. I replaced the gas cap and reset the PCM. Anyone have any LH specific knowledge or cures for this general issue?

On my way home tomorrow, I intend to stop at the bone yard too, as my a few components on my new 3.5 need some attention. The exhaust shields are in miserable shape, one bolt on each side rusted clean off allowing them to "flap" around; also my AC-side tension pulley hisses loudly.

Can anyone confirm if the 3.2L motor's components mentioned above fit on the 3.5? I assume they do as they are technically the same engine with the obvious displacement difference. There are NO 3.5's in the yard and more then a few 3.2's unfortunately.

Mopar quoted me $90 for the pulley and $300 for the shields (one side being $25 the others double or triple amusingly).

·
Premium Member
17,326 Posts
Other than pistons, rings, head gaskets, and cam grind, 3.5 and its peripherals are the same as the 3.5.

·
Premium Member
15,507 Posts
Rockauto.com for the pulley,, its like 18 bucks

·
Registered
15,244 Posts
My P0442 issue ended up being the filler neck.
Did a smoke test find that? I'd never thought the filler neck would be the cause... I'm 5 years into a constant P0442 code...

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Just cleared my P0442 last night, (Again).

I'm fairly sure it is the detector which sits atop the canister. Once cleared, it will stay out as long as I drive it every day and don't give the system a chance to do a small leak test.

Yet, if I leave it sit for the weekend, I'm almost guaranteed a check engine light on the start of my drive to work.

RonBiggs, was the filler neck rusted or was it a cracked hose?

·
Registered
444 Posts
I also had the P0442 for a long time. Garage I brought it to did a smoke test and told me it was the filler neck. They also were gonna charge me another $300+ to fix it (said they had to drop the fuel tank). I found a replacement filler neck on line for about $60 and it took about 15 minutes max to remove the old install the new.

I didn't notice an obvious leak, although there was a fair amount of rust. The hose connections looked good, so I figured it might have been the vent tube. Anyway, that was several years ago, and I haven't had the P0442 come back since.

Just noticed that Rock Auto has a Dorman for $65

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Overwhelming amount of us have had or still have the code it seems! I cleared mind and replaced the cap, on my 200mile trip home it didn't trip as of yet. May have been a spoof or me not tightening the cap? Time will tell.

I'll definitely look over my filler cap tomorrow when I put the car up, I need to do an inspection on the back as I got a weird hollow metal and metal "clash" sound on bumps, makes the car sound cheap. I suspect swaybar links or bushings.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts